Christmas is less than a month away, so it’s not inappropriate for the “spontaneous” mob in Chicago, which disrupted traffic in one of the city’s busiest shopping areas on Friday, screaming “F*ck France,” to tell Santa what its constituents want.
Here, courtesy of the Black Youth Project — based at the University of Chicago and described as “a nationally recognized research initiative focused on examining and documenting the political and civic engagement habits and attitudes of African American youth ages 15-30” — is a list of demands.
- We demand all local, state and federal budgets to defund the police and invest those dollars and resources in Black futures.
- We want reparations for chattel slavery, Jim Crow and mass incarceration.
- We want to end all profit from so-called “criminal justice” punishment – both public and private.
- We want a guaranteed income for all, living wages, a federal jobs program, and freedom from discrimination for all workers.
- We want the labor of Black transgender and cisgender women (unseen and seen, unpaid and paid) to be valued and supported, not criminalized and marginalized.
- We want investments in Black communities that promote economic sustainability and eliminate the displacement of our people.
According to the Black Youth Project’s page at the website of the Open Society Foundations, founded by George Soros, its “mission is to heighten the voices of black youth, in particular black males, in political and civic engagement spaces where they are often absent or marginalized.”
I assume that sort of engagement is what is taking place in this well-publicized picture of a black 16-year-old literally getting in the face of one of Chicago’s Finest (who refuses to take the bait):
As for the demands, the list goes much further than the one made following Ferguson (which feels like decades ago), but somehow I suspect we’ve just begun and the next list will be a real doozy.
- Dartmouth admin: Screaming ‘F*ck you, you white racist f*ck’ is ‘a wonderful, beautiful thing’
- Berkeley HS won’t identify race of suspect in alleged racist hate crime
- ‘Obama justice’: Ferguson ‘protesters’ put bounty on Darren Wilson, give cops list of demands *UPDATE*
- Deray McKesson weighs in on Planned Parenthood shootings with inevitable apples-oranges argument
- Old, white communists lead anti-cop protests in Chicago over Laquan shooting