What’s that you say? You’re a sociologist and would like to apply for membership in the American Sociological Association but none of the “gender” assignments on the application form effectively conforms to your self-image? Not to worry. According to Inside Higher Ed, the ASA (which is “dedicated to advancing sociology as a scientific discipline,” which is itself no mean feat!) now offers six (count ’em, 6) gender choices.
In addition to “male,” “female,” and “prefer not to state,” the new and improved list includes:
- Transgender Male/Transgender Man
- Transgender Female/Transgender Woman
- Genderqueer/Gender Non-conforming
- Preferred Identity (in addition to or not listed above)
“Genderqueer” is defined by the Gender Equity Resource Center at the University of California-Berkeley as “a person whose gender identity is neither man nor woman, is between or beyond genders, or is some combination of genders.” That would seem to be covered by “Preferred Identity,” but apparently there is no end to how far liberals are willing to go to feel the pain of the “others” among us who biological taxonomy left behind.
From Inside Higher Ed:
Members will select “all that apply.” John Curtis, director of research for the association, said the categories were recommended by a committee tasked with coming up with terminology that satisfied its members, and that the ACA Council recently approved those recommendations. Last year, some sociologists said that the association’s existing group of terms — female, male and prefer not to answer — weren’t inclusive enough. But there was disagreement as to which new terms were best, particularly over one proposal to adopt the term “other,” as some sociologists thought that was marginalizing. The categories will be in effect by the 2016 membership year.
The new gender options will not go into effect immediately but are expected to be in place by the 2016 ASA membership year.
(h/t Daily Caller News Foundation)
- Who’s ready for gender-neutral pronouns?
- Xe, xem, xyr: New ‘gender-free’ pronouns approved by Vancouver ed. board
- Transgender rights are the next frontier
- Obama’s newest executive order protects LGBT workers with no exemptions for religious groups
- Transgender ‘girl’ delinquent finally placed in juvenile male facility
- Trans-activist: All babies should be kept genderless
- Kerry ‘working hard to have lesbian, bisexual, transgender ambassadors’
- OH parents begin hormone therapy on 9-year-old ‘transgender’ son