Jeffrey Babbitt, who fell and struck his head after being assaulted by 31-year-old Lashawn Marten, succumbed to his injuries on Monday at Bellevue Hospital.
Babbitt had lapsed into a coma and was pronounced brain-dead by doctors after the attack on Wednesday. It is likely that Marten would ultimately have been charged with murder, but now that is a near-certainty. The case is due to go before a grand jury today.
The victim, who lived in the Sheepshead Bay section of Brooklyn, is remembered by neighbors and friends as a kindhearted individual. One neighbor, a 75-year-old woman told reporters with station WPIX that “everybody’s broken up about this,” adding. “If you had to go to the doctor or anywhere, he would take you.”
Babbitt lived with and cared for his 94-year-old mother, Lucille, who maintained a vigil by his hospital bed up until the end yesterday.
Still to be determined is whether Marten’s charges will carry a hate crime enhancement.
- Man left brain-dead following race-fueled tirade in NYC park
- ‘DREAMer’ immigration activist tweeted about killing, eating ‘white invaders’
- Armed woman fends off would-be carjackers of indeterminate race
- White teen savagely beaten on FL school bus by purple people eaters
- Jury orders black boss to pay $280K for repeatedly calling black employee n-word
- You want to have a conversation on race? Fine, let’s start with this video
- ‘Law and Order: SVU’ to feature episode where Paula Deen kills Trayvon Martin
- Purple people eaters set white teen on fire
- A liberal explains why Trayvon Martin’s killing is unlike Chris Lane’s
- Back to school … and ‘Trayvon Martin dialogs’
- Purple people eaters strike again: Gay man hospitalized after gang beatdown
- ‘We are all Trayvon Martin’ mural to be unveiled at FL capitol
- Martin attorney: ‘We never said this was about race’
- How will history textbooks treat the death of Trayvon Martin? Here’s a sneak preview
- School district spends $2.4M on sensitivity training that emphasizes evils of ‘white culture’