As far as the public knows, Barack Obama never had a son, so it hard to know whether he would have looked like Trayvon Martin. Obama did, however, have a white grandmother — one who raised him no less. Readers can decide for themselves whether Madelyn Dunham looked anything like Fannie Gumbinger. (Their images appear for your consideration after the break.)
Gumbinger was 99 at the time of her death last Tuesday at the hands of 20-year-old Javon Tyrek Rogers of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The Poughkeepsie Journal reports that Rogers, who was arrested on Friday, is being held without bail (h/t Weasel Zippers). He has been charged with first-degree murder and first-degree burglary, both felonies, and is due in court today.
Rogers was held in city lockup and arraigned by Judge Katherine Moloney in city court Saturday morning. He was sent to Dutchess County Jail without bail or bond, officials said.
The news of Rogers’ arrest relieved Gumbinger’s niece, city resident Jacqueline Solomon, 88.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Size does matter
‘At least we’ll have some answers,’ she said. ‘I’m glad it’s finished.’
I sympathize with Solomon for her loss, but the saga of her aunt’s tragic murder and of the thug responsible for it have hardly begun. The next chapter will play out an hour from now at Poughkeepsie City Hall, when the city Police Department will hold a press conference at which time “more details of the case will be released.”
What is known so far is that the killer, Rogers, is a suspect in multiple recent city burglaries. Also established by Dutchess County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Kari Reiber is Gumbinger died of ‘multiple injuries,’ though the exact cause of death is yet to be reported.
As for Obama’s attempt to inject race into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a jury saw beyond it. They recognized the truth and found the man who shot Martin not guilty. Will Obama make the same mistake in the killing of Fannie Gumbinger and say that she reminds him of his granny? Don’t bet on it. And the reason it won’t happen is not because Obama learns from his mistakes.
- Police Chief Frank Straub: Murder of Delbert Belton ‘not racially motivated’
- Spokane police seek black teens suspected of beating white WWII vet to death Update: One suspect nabbed
- Closing arguments in Mona Nelson case scheduled for Monday
- MSNBC: Right’s reaction to Chris Lane murder ‘revenge’ for Trayvon Martin
- Teens who killed WWII vet both have rap sheets
- Breaking: Second suspect in beating death of WWII vet arrested
- NYC police arrest thug who dragged 93-year-old down flight of steps during robbery
- DHS employee maintains website promoting race war against ‘whites’
- A liberal explains why Trayvon Martin’s killing is unlike Chris Lane’s
- Duncan man who called police: ‘Chris Lane shooting was a gang initiation’
- Jesse Jackson speaks out on Chris Lane’s murder: It is ‘frowned upon’
- Duncan, OK murder: It’s the gangsta culture, stupid
- Piers Morgan tweets about ‘idiots’ who opine that Chris Lane shooting is related to race
- ‘Bored’ teen kills kittens with bow and arrow, posts gruesome photos on Facebook
- The Oklahoma shooters: The real story
- Black Oklahoma teens shoot white man to death ‘just for fun’