It’s the reverse of the old Groucho Marx line about refusing to join “a club that would have me as a member.” If you’re going to be part of the “moral minority” — which is how liberals see themselves, at least those of them who concede that the country remains right of center — shouldn’t you be required to play by the rules?
This question came to mind this morning after I read another question, this one posed by Jim Treacher.
In his column at The Daily Caller, he asked whether Trayvon Martin was anti-gay. (Treacher used the term homophobe, which analyzed into its parts means “someone who fears being the same,” but I digress.)
The basis for this query was the appearance on Piers Morgan’s CNN show of Rachel Jeantel, the prosecution’s star witness at the Zimmerman trial. Treacher writes:
As we’ve been solemnly informed by our moral, ethical, and intellectual betters on the left, we’re supposed to listen to Rachel Jeantel and consider her a serious person or else we’re racists. Well, let’s pay Jeantel the courtesy of listening to her here, and assume she means what she says.
I won’t attempt a transcription, but it sure does sound like she’s saying Trayvon Martin thought George Zimmerman was a homosexual rapist. And she was applauded for saying so!
A related question that naturally springs from Treacher’s is why wouldn’t Trayvon Martin be opposed to gay people? It’s certainly no secret that the black community is by and large a God-fearing, socially conservative group. An antipathy toward homosexuality, which is decried in the Bible as sinful, is hardwired into their culture and psyches. (Why blacks have such contempt for Jews is less easy to explain, but that’s another topic for another day.)
According to one “scholar” on YouTube, blacks’ hatred of gays traces its roots to the era of slavery:
But we still haven’t answered the question of why liberals, who profess to prize tolerance above all other virtues, are willing to overlook black prejudice toward another “diverse” group. That at least one liberal is aware of this sticky wicket is evident in a post at the Daily Kos in April titled “The sad irony of Black America’s biblical justification for anti-marriage-equality stance.”
The author, who identifies himself as “AusteritySucks,” laments this grim reality (which is not ironic at all really), providing examples of what he calls the “Twitter garbage” that followed the on-air declaration by ESPN’s Chris Broussard, a black commentator, that being gay is “an open rebellion to God.”
“Austerity” chastens blacks for even reading the Bible, which he says back in the day “was used regularly to justify slavery, segregation, and broad racist vitriol in the United States.”
Interestingly, he opens his post with another tweet by a black man, this one seeming to contradict his entire thesis. It reads:
I hate the word homophobia. It’s not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an a**hole.
The author of the quote is actor Morgan Freeman, and his stated views reveal another facet of black culture — that a rise in social status is often accompanied by conversion to liberal doctrine. (Yes, I know, Freeman’s comment betrays intolerance toward people who hold an opposing view, but that, too, is another topic.)
- MSM goes into gloat mode: See, we told you there would be peace and calm
- Justice for George Zimmerman and the court of public opinion
- TIME columnist: ‘Preparing for riots after Zimmerman verdict is racial fear-mongering’
- Another ‘This is for Trayvon’ beating
- George Zimmerman, parents in hiding due to ‘death threats’
- Beating victim claims assailants yelled ‘this is for Trayvon’
- Pro-Trayvon Martin protester: You need to be ‘checking your white privilege’ daily
- Rallies against Zimmerman acquittal held across U.S.
- School that teaches ‘white guilt’ class will re-examine curriculum
- Trayvon Martin and the politics of racial identity
- HLN’s Nancy Grace utters profanity and racial slur live on-air
- School district spends $2.4M on sensitivity training to combat ‘white privilege’
- Obama supporters respond to win by tweeting ‘F**k white people’
- Guess what’s racist now? Peanut butter!