It’s not a story for the faint of heart. The Seattle Post Intelligencer reports that an Illinois woman convicted of killing two infants found dead in the trunk of an impounded car admitted on Thursday to killing a third — a baby girl that she left on the side of deserted road to freeze to death five years ago.
Katie Stockton of Rockton, who is believed to be the mother of the two most recently murdered infants, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the December 2004 death of the infant known as Baby Crystal, also believed to be Stockton’s offspring.
It was after Stockton’s 2009 arrest in Baby Crystal’s death that investigators discovered her car had been sitting in an impound lot for a year. They towed it to a Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department facility to search for more clues in that case, and instead found the remains of two other infants wrapped in cloth and stuffed in separate plastic bags.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: CouPeachment
Stockton was originally questioned about Baby Crystal’s death in 2004 after the frozen remains of the newborn were discovered in a plastic bag along a dead-end road near the home of Stockton’s parents. Prosecutors at the time say that when detectives interviewed Stockton hours after the discovery, she lifted her shirt and asked if she looked like she had just given birth.
Stockton declined to give a DNA sample, but detectives investigating the death gathered the needed evidence from a cigarette butt they had seen her discard. Authorities said that the genetic material in the saliva on the butt matched that of the blood found on the clothing worn by Baby Crystal.
Stockton is to be sentenced April 5. She faces up to 60 years in prison.
- 9-year-old dies after being forced to run nonstop for 3 hours as punishment
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- Mom drives car into Hudson, kills self, 3 children (Video)
- Pot-smoking mother who murdered children claims devil told her to do it
- 13-year-old girl shot by classmate on school bus dies of injuries (Photos)
- Woman mistakenly pursued by bloodthirsty mob plunges to her death
- Man who incinerated woman in elevator: ‘She owed me $2,000’
- Woman dies after being set on fire in apartment building elevator
- NY police on lookout for parents who abducted their 8 children
- Homeless man described as “gentle” beaten to death by police (Video)
- Homeless good samaritan killed while saving a mugging victim
- NJ youths beat up homeless man; provide video evidence of crime
- Outrage: Perp involved in near-fatal shopping cart push may walk
- Woman struck by shopping cart thrown from high floor near death
- New Yorkers look on impassively as stabbing victim cries out for help