“If you can’t force people to do what you want, force them to buy insurance,” writes James Taranto in his Best of the Web Today column on Thursday. “That seems to be the strategy of the liberal left in the Obama era.”
Taranto’s reference is not to Obamacare but to newly proposed legislation in California that would require gun owners to buy liability insurance to cover damages or injuries that might ensue from the use of their weapon.
San Francisco Assemblyman Philip Ting, a co-sponsor of the bill, is quoted by FOX News as saying:
I was moved, like many others, being the father of two young children, by the Sandy Hook incident and looking for constructive ways to manage gun violence here in California as well as the rest of the country. There’s basically a cost that is born by the taxpayers when accidents occur … I don’t think that taxpayers should be footing those bills.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Three Stooges
Ting equates the idea to the requirement that vehicle owners buy auto insurance. FOX notes that similar bills have been introduced in other states, including Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and New York, adding that Massachusetts and New York have been attempted — unsuccessfully — too force through legislation of this sort since at least 2003.
So what could be bad? Well, for starters analogizing the requirement with the auto insurance requirement is flawed. As Taranto points out:
States require auto insurance as a precondition not of ownership but of driving on public roads. Guns, by contrast, typically are kept in the home, and liability for accidents there is covered by homeowners insurance.
“It would also be constitutionally suspect,” he adds, “for the government to condition the exercise of one’s rights under the Second Amendment on the purchase of insurance.” Then again, the Supreme Court decided last year that the right to draw breath on planet Earth can be constrained by a tax levied by the federal government.
- 10-year-old arrested after bringing toy gun to school
- CBO: Under Obamacare 7 million to lose employer-provided health insurance
- Student suspended for having picture of gun on his laptop (Photos)
- Poll: 45% of Americans ignorant of Supreme Court ruling on Obamacare
- Bridge too far: 6-year-old expelled for bringing toy gun to school (Photos)
- 5-year-old suspended from playtime for making toy gun out of Legos (Photos)
- Kindergartner suspended for threatening to ‘shoot’ a classmate with bubbles
- 6-year-old Maryland student suspended for pointing finger like gun
- SF HS student suspended over private Newtown poem
- Stallone latest Hollywood denizen to voice support for gun control (Photos)
- Rahm Emanuel urges two major banks to stop lending to gun manufacturers
- CT town to burn violent video games as school begins again (Photos)
- Liberals toy with idea of profiling white males as solution to Newtown
- Newtown 7th grader seeks to rid nation of violent video games
- In dealing with massacre, Obama lacks what it takes to be an agent of change
- Anti-gun NY Dem threatens to ‘embarrass’ Obama in re guns
- MSM anchors see insulting historical antecedents in gun debate