On Sunday, Breitbart’s Aaron Klein reported that the mother of Leigh Corfman, the woman who said Alabama Senatorial Candidate Roy Moore tried to engage in a sexual encounter with her when she was 14, contradicted a key detail of her daughter’s story.
According to Klein:
Speaking by phone to Breitbart News on Saturday, Corfman’s mother, Nancy Wells, 71, says that her daughter did not have a phone in her bedroom during the period that Moore is reported to have allegedly called Corfman – purportedly on Confman’s bedroom phone – to arrange at least one encounter.
Moore strongly denies Corfman’s claims.
The Washington Post, which first published its newsmaking, on-the-record interview with Corfman last week, cited Corfman as remembering that she provided Moore with her number when she was 14. She said that she spoke to Moore from what she described as the phone in her bedroom.
The Post report said:
After her mother went into the courtroom, Corfman says, Moore asked her where she went to school, what she liked to do and whether he could call her sometime. She remembers giving him her number and says he called not long after. She says she talked to Moore on her phone in her bedroom, and they made plans for him to pick her up at Alcott Road and Riley Street, around the corner from her house.
Soon after, Corfman said, he called again, and picked her up again at the same spot.
Later on, Corfman described a third phone call:
She says that after their last encounter, Moore called again, but that she found an excuse to avoid seeing him. She says that at some point during or soon after her meetings with Moore, she told two friends in vague terms that she was seeing an older man.
But, Wells said, Corfman did not have a phone in her bedroom.
Corfman clearly claimed she spoke to Moore on what she said was “her phone in her bedroom” on at least one of those occasions. The Post did not specify whether the second or third alleged calls purportedly took place on a bedroom phone.
Wells, Corfman’s mother, was asked by Breitbart News: “Back then did she have her own phone in her room or something?”
“No,” she replied matter-of-factly. “But the phone in the house could get through to her easily.”
Klein also said the Post relied on Corfman’s memory of those 40-year-old events no less than 10 times.
However, Klein continued, “Wells told Breitbart that she and her daughter stick by the Post’s story.”
“It’s truthful and it was researched very well,” she said.
Moore has strongly denied the claims made by the Post, and has suggested there may be some collusion involved.
“These allegations are completely false and are a desperate political attack by the National Democrat Party and the Washington Post on this campaign,” he said.
The campaign further said, “This garbage is the very definition of fake news and intentional defamation.”
He addressed the allegations on Saturday:
“Now I want to address something that some people have come here to hear about,” Moore said at a local campaign event. “Shortly after becoming the Republican nominee for the United States Senate, the Washington Post began an attack on the Foundation for Moral Law, on my wife, and on me. For weeks, we read about my salary which they distorted, about taxes where they said we were paid money we never got. But we endured that.”
“Later, they came out and endorsed my opponent in this race,” he continued. “Just two days ago, the Washington Post published yet another attack on my character and reputation in a desperate attempt to stop my political campaign for the United States Senate. These attacks about a minor are completely false and untrue about something that happened nearly 40 years ago. But more than being completely false and untrue, they are very hurtful to me personally.”
“I wanted to make it clear to the media present and the people present, I have not provided alcoholic beverages — beer or anything else — to a minor. I have not been guilty of sexual misconduct with anyone,” he declared. “These allegations came only four and a half weeks before the general election on Dec. 12. Why now?”
“For forty years I have been closely scrutinized in the press and the public media. I have had investigations by the attorney general, I’ve had investigations by the judicial inquiry commission on more than one occasion, I’ve had investigations by the court of the judiciary, I’ve been in five statewide campaigns in which they do opposition research — they do investigations, as you can see in every one I’ve ever run — and three county elections and two major controversies over religious liberty and the Ten Commandments and same-sex marriage,” he continued. “I’ve been investigated more than any other person in this country. That grown women would wait forty years to come right before an election to bring charges is absolutely unbelievable.”
Meanwhile, GOP establishment types have chosen to believe the 40-year-old allegations and seem hell-bent on keeping Moore out of the Senate, as we reported earlier Sunday.
- Mitch McConnell implies he may not seat Judge Roy Moore if he wins election
- Roy Moore Accuser Worked For Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden; ‘Likes’ Soros-linked Groups [VIDEO]
- Alabama ABC affiliate unable to find single voter who believes WaPo hit piece against Judge Roy Moore