For every liberal action there is an equal and opposite conservative reaction.
Take the case of Robert E. Lee Elementary School, in Austin. Last month, the Austin Independent School District voted to rename the school and asked the public for its recommendations.
According to NBC affiliate KXAN, the votes were tallied last week and the results were released on Friday. Of the 228 names suggested, the number one choice, receiving 45 votes, was (drum roll) Donald J. Trump Elementary! Retaining the current name placed second, with 34 votes.
Here are the top ten recommendations. One hopes that number 7 was intended as a joke.
- Donald J. Trump Elementary: 45 nominations
- Robert E. Lee Elementary: 34 nominations
- Russell Lee Elementary: 32 nominations
- Harper Lee Elementary: 30 nominations
- Elisabet Ney Elementary: 15 nominations
- Lee Elementary: 13 nominations
- Adolf Hitler School for Friendship and Tolerance: 8 nominations
- Waller Creek Elementary: 8 nominations
- Dr. Frances J. Nesmith Elementary School: 7 nominations
- Guy Bizzell Elementary: 6 nominations
In a nod to the late songster Prince, two votes were made for renaming the school “The Elementary School Formerly Known as Robert E. Lee.”
Among the other nominees that failed to make the cut was one in really poor taste — Adam Lanza’s School of Fun — and several that were obviously intended to mock the process: Bleeding Heart Liberal Elementary, Forgetting the Past Dooms You to Repeat It Elementary, and Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary.