Here’s a question for Democrats going into the 2016 presidential election: Who’s your daddy? The answer, in case the Donks don’t know, is the 13% of the American populace that self-identifies as black.
On Tuesday, “protest group” Black Lives Matter posted a petition at the website of Color of Change, the black empowerment organization co-founded by onetime Obama green czar Van Jones, demanding that the Dems hold a BLM-themed presidential debate. “It is not enough to poll the Presidential candidates on whether or not they think ‘Black Lives Matter’ or ‘All Lives Matter,'” the rationale begins, “we deserve substantive responses and policy recommendations. We deserve substance and not rhetoric. In fact, we demand it.”
Demands are usually accompanied by an “or else,” but in this case, no threat is implied or overtly stated. Then again, what could BLM threaten? To vote Republican? (Obviously, if there any chance of that happening, the petition, which is addressed to DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz, would have put her RNC counterpart, Reince Priebus, on notice as well.)
In any case, the DNC refused to yield to pressure but came back with a counter-proposal. According to the Washington Post, the political arm of the Democratic Party has offered to “host a presidential town hall focused on issues of racial justice.”
In letters addressed to leaders of the #BlackLivesMatter network and prominent activist DeRay McKesson, the DNC invited the activist groups to coordinate and host a presidential town hall similar to those currently being planned by some state-level Democratic parties and some liberal groups including MoveOn.org.
It’s understandable that the DNC can go only so far in appeasing a single special interest group. As it is, the party went out on a limb exposing vulnerable candidate Hillary Clinton earlier this month, despite complaints from the front-runners Democratic rivals.
- Black Lives Matter calls on Dems for BLM-themed debate
- Disgusting: Black Lives Matter protesters reportedly cheered NYPD officer’s death
- New normal for libs: O’Malley apologizes for saying ‘all lives matter’ at Netroots Nation
- What would Jesus do? He’d say ‘F**k yo flag,’ according to this Yale faculty member
- Piers Morgan tweeted this, and #BlackTwitter went ballistic
- Course at Portland State U. seeks to ‘make whiteness strange’
- #BlackLivesMatter leader headed to jail — er, make that Yale
- Tweet of the Day: ‘In Defense of Looting’