Confusing doggerel and poetry is nothing new in American schools in the age of political correctness and inclusiveness. But one eighth-grade teacher’s choice of subject matter was so ill-conceived that he has been removed from the classroom and placed on something called “home assignment.”
Station KPHO in Florence, Ariz., reports that the lesson drew on lyrics from 1990 rap song by “artist” Ice Cube titled “Who’s the Mack?” which include abundant profanity and references to prostitution. The lyrics, which can be read here in their entirety, include the lines:
Who’s the mack? is it some brother in a big hat
Thinking he can get any b*tch with a good rap?
Rolling in a f*cked-up Lincoln….
In the followup assignment, the teacher whose name has been kept confidential, asked students to identify similes, metaphors, and other poetic elements.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Biden Burnout
“The language is the biggest issue,” Florence Unified School District spokesman Richard Franco is quoted as saying. “It’s not something that’s part of our curriculum in any way, shape or form and it’s not something that our district condones being taught in our classes.” Franco goes on to say that all teachers are required to submit lesson plans for the upcoming week and that this teacher’s plan made no mention of the Ice Cube song.
Parents are understandably outraged. One, identified as Carrie Scott, exclaimed, “What the hell was he thinking?” The answer to that question, meant as rhetorical, has its roots in a misguided effort on the part of educators nowadays to be socially relevant. There is a widespread effort afoot to indoctrinate, rather than impart, and the traditional three R’s have been replaced by react, resent, and retaliate.
District officials meanwhile have begun a formal investigation into the incident and determined the content was inappropriate.
- Fourth-grade Common Core reading worksheet features story about adultery
- Obama administration slams ‘white suburban moms’ over Common Core
- School district apologizes for indoctrination video pledging allegiance to Obama
- College Board, pressured by critics, will eliminate ‘anti-American language’ from U.S. history exam
- To level playing field, SATs spot blacks 230-point ‘bonus,’ penalize Asians 50 points
- One high school’s outrageous ‘solution’ to the problem of low graduation rates
- Latest national crisis: Children’s books have too many white faces
- College ‘diversity officer’ may lose job for #KillAllWhiteMen tweets
- Michelle Obama dedicates new museum by complaining cultural institutions are ‘too white’