With apologies, Free the Nipple Day has come and gone (it was March 26) and we at LU neglected to give it its due. The date is set aside each year to protest the unequal treatment women’s breasts receive — they are regarded as sexual objects while men’s are not — but this year FND had its own poster child. Her name is Adda Þóreyjardóttir Smáradóttir, she is 17 years old, and she chairs the Feminist Society at the Commerical College of Iceland. The Independent chronicles her day, which began in infamy and ended in salvation:
After a male friend who disagreed [with the tenets of the movement] posted a photo of himself bare chested and said he would receive a negative reaction if he was topless at school, she posted an image of her nipples.
Arguably proving Adda’s point, a Twitter troll soon tried to body-shame her for posting the image.
Within hours, Smáradóttir’s selfless act on behalf of nipple freedom rose to the status of legend. Soon females all over God’s pink earth were baring their souls on Twitter in solidarity — their breasts, too, in many cases — under the hashtag #FreeTheNipple:
— Katla (@ofurbusinn) March 26, 2015
If you’re an American male and wonder how you can do you part for this important cause, be advised that each year the advocacy group GoTopless.org features a GoTopless Day, including a bare-breasted march, in selected cities across the nation. The event always falls on the Sunday closest to Women’s Equality Day, which this year falls on Aug. 26. An interactive boob map (screenshot below) helps you find the venue closest to you:
- Women protest giant Barbie dollhouse that ‘objectifies women’ … by stripping
- Latest feminist complaint: You never see the Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus
- Women in NYC go topless for the revolution
- Bare-breasted activists parade through NYC for ‘Go-Topless Day’
- Today is 12th annual ‘No Pants Subway Ride Day’
- San Franciscans stage nude-in, protest proposed law against baring all in public
- 73-year-old Montreal teacher fired over porn films she made more than 40 years ago
- Bare-breasted activists parade through NYC for “Go-Topless Day”