Despite a dramatic surge of opposition from within his own party, John Boehner was elected to a third term as Speaker of the House Tuesday.
From Roll Call:
Boehner won re-election with 216 of the 408 votes cast, as 25 Republicans voted for someone else or voted present in an act of protest. Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi received 164 Democratic votes, with four members of her party voting for someone other than the California Democrat.
In his remarks to the full House after retaking the gavel, Boehner expressed hope for a new era of cooperation and productivity.
“They say nothing is going to be accomplished here, divisions are greater than ever. … Skepticism of our government is healthy and in our time quite understandable. But one problem with saying, ‘it can’t be done,’ is that it already has been done, or at least started.
“As speaker, all I ask, and frankly expect, is that we disagree without being disagreeable,” Boehner continued. “Let’s stand tall and prove the skeptics wrong.”
Here is a complete list of the 25 Republican dissidents who voted for someone other than Boehner to serve as Speaker in the 114th Congress and how they voted:
- Rep. Justin Amash (Mich.) — Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio)
- Rep. Brian Babin (Tex.) — “present”
- Rep. Rod Blum (Iowa) — Rep. Dan Webster (R-Fla.)
- Rep. Dave Brat (Va.) — Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-S.C.)
- Rep. Jim Bridenstine (Okla.) — Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.)
- Rep. Curt Clawson (Fla.) — Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.)
- Rep. Scott DesJarlais (Tenn.) — Jordan
- Duncan — Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.)
- Rep. Scott Garrett (N.J.) — Webster
- Rep. Chris Gibson (N.Y.) — House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)
- Rep. Paul Gosar (Ariz.) — Webster
- Gohmert — Gohmert
- Rep. Tim Huelskamp (Kan.) — Webster
- Rep. Walter Jones (N.C.) — Webster
- Rep. Steve King — Webster
- Rep. Tom Massie (Ky.) — Rep. Ted Yoho (R-Fla.)
- Rep. Mark Meadows (N.C.) — Webster
- Rep. Rich Nugent (Fla.) — Webster
- Rep. Gary Palmer (Ala.) — Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.)
- Rep. Bill Posey (Fla.) — Webster
- Rep. Scott Rigell (Va.) — Webster
- Rep. Marlin Stutzman (Ind.) — Webster
- Rep. Randy Weber (Tex.) — Gohmert
- Webster — Webster
- Ted Yoho — Yoho