Hillary Clinton is many things (some of which can be safely described in a family publication). She is a former first lady, U.S. Senator, Secretary of State, and future (she appears to hope) President. She is also — according to a new tell-all book by a Secret Service member — foul-mouthed and ill-tempered.
The book, the Daily Mail notes (h/t Weasel Zippers), is titled “Within Arm’s Length: A Secret Service Agent’s Inside Account of Protecting the President.” Its author, Dan Emmett, worked in the Presidential Protective Division, the plum job for a Secret Serviceman, during Bill Clinton’s two terms in the White House. Emmett also served that detail for George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, which provides a point of comparison for Bill’s and Hillary’s behavior.
Compared to Hillary’s salty language, Bill Clinton was a gentleman, Emmett maintains. That salty language was chronicled in another book, “Unlimited Access,” by FBI agent Gary Aldridge, who writes that Hillary on one occasion ordered Emmett to “stay the f**k away from me! Just f*****g do as I say!!!”
Speaking of books,
according to Emmett, Mrs. Clinton hurled one at the back of the head of one agent driving her in the Presidential limo whom she accused of eavesdropping. She also habitually neglected to thank her protectors, which is White House protocol, instead treating Secret Service members like “hired help.” (If she had known back then that she would be leaving the White House “dead broke,” perhaps she would behaved more charitably to the peons who had her back.)
Emmett’s book hits the shelves ironically just as Hillary begins a publicity tour for her own “diplomatic memoir,” titled “Hard Choices,” which the Wall Street Journal’s Brett Stephens writes “invites us to forget her record.” As she makes the rounds on television, Clinton adds further insights into the sort of commander-in-chief she would be, remarking for example that the Taliban 5 are not a threat to the U.S. and that, in her view, she and Barack Obama working in tandem “restored America’s leadership in the world.”
UPDATE: I have received an email from Dan Emmett, author of “Within Arms Length,” who advises that the claims made in this post are inaccurate. Among the statements with which he takes exception are the allegations that Hillary Clinton threw a book at the back of a Secret Service agent’s head and that she was routinely rude to agents. My main source for the article was the Daily Mail, which I have invariably found to be accurate and reliable. I apologize to Mr. Emmett and to readers who I may have misled via this report.
- Hillary’s diplomatic memoir invites us to forget her record
- Video: Hillary says Taliban 5 ‘not a threat to U.S.’
- Hillary Clinton does damage control over ‘dead broke’ comment
- Hillary Clinton: Obama and I restored America’s leadership in the world
- Video: Hillary can’t name single achievement during State Dept. tenure
- Hillary Clinton: No regrets for ‘what difference does it make’ comment
- Hillary’s book apparently misstates whether there were Marines in Tripoli
- Hillary: ‘I gave very direct instructions’ on Benghazi security
- Asked about Bergdahl/Taliban trade, Hillary Clinton plugs her book
- Hillary Clinton is not now, and never has been, a friend to Israel