Howard Portnoy, the guiding light of Liberty Unyielding, announced our new format, with its enhanced features, on Friday, 10 January. I imagine that most of you are smarter than I am, and don’t need any further tutorials to take full advantage of the site.
But for the three of you out there who are as slow on the uptake as I am, I thought I’d give you a quick tour of what your new LU can do for you. (Just so you know: you can’t touch me for slowness on the uptake, e-stuff-wise. Really. You can’t.)
1. Comments. Most of you have already noted and/or commented on our switch to the Disqus software for comments.
You can use HTML to format your comments, if you like. The following are verified to give you the desired result when entering comments in Disqus.
To set a quote off: <blockquote>text</blockquote>
2. Quick Takes. As Howard described, these are shorter, single-topic pieces. I plan to make use of them to highlight foreign affairs, national security, and military topics that are worth mentioning in brief, without the more extended analysis some readers know I specialize in. But there will be plenty of domestic political topics as well.
3. Around the Web. We update this for you with our total-genius selection of the best headlines from across the infosphere. And don’t forget: you can comment on the headline posts right here at Liberty Unyielding.
To do that, look for the “More headlines” link at the bottom of the Around the Web list. That will open a separate page of Around the Web headlines. Click on each headline and you’ll be taken to the LU excerpt and comments page for it. When you make comments on these pages, your comments will show up in the “Latest” and/or “Popular” comments lists on the right side of the main page, as they do when you make comments anywhere else.
4. LU on Facebook. Don’t forget to “Like” us on Facebook, and visit our Facebook page for additional content, including graphics, jokes, links, and more. We’re developing a distinctive LU presence; don’t hesitate to join in the fun.
5. Subscribe for updates. Be sure to subscribe to email updates from Liberty Unyielding.
Don’t be shy; come on down; we love folks!