Historically, park rangers’ job description has included such end-user-friendly pursuits as policing the grounds around parks and memorials to make them safe and enjoyable and looking out for the well-being of visitors. Not any more.
Now, as one renegade member told the media on Day 4 of the shutdown, their job is “to make life as difficult for people as” they can.
And now this: Catholic Online reports that park rangers have removed handles from water spigots along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, in Washington, which includes a bike path and trail used by joggers. “Instead of saving money, the NPS is expending additional resources to go out of its way to close such locations and to make people miserable.”
The article closes with this grim observation:
There’s really no scenario where this ends well for the NPS. First, several of their workers have lost their wages, workers are working without pay, and when the dust settles, heads will roll in subsequent investigations. The NPS is making itself unpopular with the American public, which is stewing for vengeance as the weather turns cold and bitter.
For the record, the NPS had already taken a turn for the bizarre prior to the shutdown. As was reported in this space on Sept. 20, the park service had for some reason produced videos praising Islam’s contributions to women’s rights.
- Old: National Park Service; new: The Park ‘Police’
- Obama administration unnecessarily closes many private businesses in government shutdown
- The Mt. Rushmore presidents’ message to Obama
- Scott Walker refuses fed order to close state parks
- Obama prevents viewing Mt. Rushmore from an open highway
- Obama tries to ‘shut down’ ocean as part of grudge battle with GOP
- White House uses ‘government shutdown’ as excuse to force closing of privately-run tourist attraction
- More guards at WWII memorial than Benghazi
- National Park Service produces videos praising Islam’s contributions to women’s rights
- Obama’s ordered shutdown cancels televising ball games for troops overseas
- Obama’s golf course spared from government shutdown
- Shutdown theater: Obama evicts senior citizens from their private homes
- Despite sequester Obama designates 5 new national monuments