It’s not exactly an earth-shaking revelation for anyone who has been paying attention, but MSNBC — long a broadcast arm of the most liberal precincts of the Democratic party — has finally claimed its mala fides.
The Daily Caller notes that the website of the network of Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, and other “deep thinkers” has tossed aside once and for any pretense toward journalistic objectivity:
Visitors to MSNBC.com on Saturday will see a new splash page at the opening of the website give them two choices: one ‘for breaking news and reporting from NBC News’ and one — one the right side, ironically — for ‘a sneak peek at the new msnbc.com,’ described as ‘what progressives have been waiting for.’
TDC then errs in writing that the right-side slogan “strongly suggests MSNBC.com will be becoming a hub for progressive ideology.” The use of the present participle becoming gives credence to the mythical claim that the network was ever anything other than a “hub for progressive ideology.”
As for the “secret” that MSNBC leans not just forward but left, White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest blew the network’s cover in December 2012, when several of its hosts — including Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O’Donnell, and the aforementioned Sharpton — were invited to the White House to confab with the president in re the fiscal cliff. In a followup news release on the meeting, Earnest wrote:
This afternoon at the White House, the President met with influential progressives to talk about the importance of preventing a tax increase on middle class families, strengthening our economy and adopting a balanced approach to deficit reduction. [Emphasis added]
MSNBC’s “coming out,” as it were, is unlikely to increase its reader/viewership. As TDC’s Jeff Poor noted previously, the network in July hit a 7-year low in its ratings, placing it a distant fourth behind Fox News Channel, CNN, and HLN.
The only question now is whether MSNBC’s commentary will be tempered by on-screen caveats noting that it and its “talent” is in the Obama administration’s pocket. Imagine, for example, Ed Schultz claiming, as he did in September, that conservatives oppose war in Syria because they hate Obama, and then announcing, “But I support the war or anything else Obama does because I love him unconditionally.”
- TIME magazine puts Putin on its cover … just not in U.S.
- Where is Benghazi Survivor Information Officer Peterson?
- Salon’s Joan Walsh calls Rush Limbaugh a ‘racist troll’ for saying ‘shuck and jive’
- NYT explains away Obama’s latest crisis of leadership by blaming — who else? — George W. Bush
- MSNBC’s Ed Schultz blames Bush, says conservatives who oppose war in Syria do so because they hate Obama
- RFK Jr.’s diary: Revs. Jackson and Sharpton ‘give me the creeps’
- Maddow, Sharpton, other MSNBC hosts meet with president at WH (Photos)
- Liberal loon Ed Asner says Tinseltown silent on Syria to avoid seeming anti-black
- MSNBC now Al Sharpton’s personal fiefdom
- Poll by MSNBC’s Ed Schultz: ‘Are conservatives the new Confederates?’
- MSNBC: Right’s reaction to Chris Lane murder ‘revenge’ for Trayvon Martin