Breitbart reports that Collins, who heads up the Las Vegas chapter of Sharpton’s National Action Network, led a Trayvon Martin rally on Saturday, during which he made this modest proposal:
We are here also to ask our sports icons LeBron James, Dwyane Wade [unintelligible] and other professional players in baseball and football to change franchises and play for another franchise until the state of Florida recognizes there has to be change. [Emphasis added]
We are also asking the collegiate athletes who have signed contracts and who have signed letters of intent to play for various universities to transfer to another university until the governor of the state of Florida calls a special session and changes the laws so that African American males and females, black and brown kids will be safe in the state of Florida.
Just like that, eh? If Collins is contemplating a switch himself — to a career as an employment counselor — he is advised not to quit his day job (whatever that might be).
Granted in March 2012, the Miami Heat (the team on which both James and Wade play) posed for a photo wearing hooded sweatshirts, in tribute to Trayvon Martin. Several Heat players, moreover, took the floor for a game around the same time with the phrase “We Want Justice” scrawled on their sneakers. But once the game began that night — and every night since up through the tournament-deciding Game 7 of the NBA championship, which the Heat won — it has been business as usual.
And business it remains. The interesting thing is that James, who has an opt-out clause in his $107 million 6-year contract, could very well leave Miami to sign with another team. Wade, one of two Miami stars that provided an inducement for James to join the team in 2010, turns 33 this year. In basketball years, that’s old.
But whatever career decision he makes, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will not be based on the idealistic urging of some loon tilting at windmills.
- Obama’s double standard on race challenged by the 2009 shooting death of a white teen by a black adult
- Another round of misleading ‘classroom resources’ on Zimmerman trial
- How will history textbooks treat the death of Trayvon Martin? Here’s a sneak preview
- Eric Holder launches ‘snitch line’ on Zimmerman
- Why is DOJ refusing to give George Zimmerman back his gun?
- MSNBC’s Chris Matthews apologizes on behalf of all white people
- Blacks benefit disproportionately from FL’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ law
- Outrage: Family rushing sick child to hospital blocked by Zimmerman demonstrators
- What was that libs were predicting about non-violent protests following the Zimmerman verdict?
- MSM goes into gloat mode: See, we told you there would be peace and calm
- Justice for George Zimmerman and the court of public opinion
- TIME columnist: ‘Preparing for riots after Zimmerman verdict is racial fear-mongering’
- Another ‘This is for Trayvon’ beating
- George Zimmerman, parents in hiding due to ‘death threats’
- Beating victim claims assailants yelled ‘this is for Trayvon’
- Pro-Trayvon Martin protester: You need to be ‘checking your white privilege’ daily
- Rallies against Zimmerman acquittal held across U.S.
- School that teaches ‘white guilt’ class will re-examine curriculum
- Trayvon Martin and the politics of racial identity