The 25-year-old president of the Norfolk, Va., chapter of the NAACP is being asked to resign for having the temerity to write on Facebook that blacks should “think logically and not racially” when it comes to hot-button issues like the shooting death of Trayvon Martin. The entire entry is as follows:
I wonder why it is that we are always willing to say someone who clearly had a shaky past, was the victim. Are we blinded about why Trayvon was at his dads [sic] house in the first place, and why he wasn’t at home at the time he was shot? Please think logically and not racially…
Obviously, the writer, Tristan Breaux, was asking too much. Station WAVY quotes Norfolk City Councilman Paul Riddick as saying that Breaux “obviously does not have the maturity [to judge] when to speak and when not to speak.”
Former Norfolk NAACP President Bob Rawls agrees with Riddick. “I think this should be tried in the courtroom and not on social media,” he said. Rawls is right of course, though his advice cuts both ways. Maybe his appeal should be broadened to include those currently using the social media to foment violence in the event George Zimmerman, Martin’s shooter, is acquitted.
WAVY reports having “made several attempts to get in touch with Breaux through calls and texts, but he never responded. Local members who voted him into office are now hoping national NAACP members will take him out.”
Says Pual Riddick: “I think that the national office should come into this. It would be an effort to silence this fellow.” Why Riddick believes he needs to be silenced is never explained.
- Two men, no authority
- TIME columnist: ‘Preparing for riots after Zimmerman verdict is racial fear-mongering’
- To prove Zimmerman was racist against blacks, prosecutor engages in racism against blacks
- New Black Panther party places $10K bounty on George Zimmerman’s head
- President Obama: When will you denounce the fatwa against George Zimmerman?
- If Zimmerman walks, riots are expected
- Another white man beaten in the name of Trayvon Martin
- 78-year-old white man beaten by teens, told ‘This is for Trayvon’
- Cops rule out hate as motive in another alleged ‘justice for Trayvon’ beating
- Zimmerman released on bail; lynch mob issues death threats on Twitter
- Obama unable to resist politicizing Trayvon Martin for Latino audience
- How will history textbooks treat Trayvon Martin case? Here’s a preview
- Killing that mockingbird
- Report: Obama Justice Dept was behind Trayvon Martin protests
- Rachel Jeantel ‘put a face on the tragedy of black education’