It’s a minor point, to be sure, but John Kerry should give up on sports references. His boss, too. It is clear that neither one follows professional sports, which is no crime. But both repeatedly make efforts at ingratiating themselves with constituents (in Kerry’s case former constituents) by exhibiting their sports knowledge — and both end up making total fools of themselves.
Kerry, whose list of gaffes include identifying his favorite Red Sox player as “Manny Ortiz” (thereby conflating the names of two players) and impressing Green Bay Packers fans by evoking the hallowed name of “Lambert Field” (it’s Lambeau), was in rare form again yesterday. In fairness, he was trying to do something nice for once, rather than for political reasons.
He was praising New York Yankee fans for singing a Red Sox fans’ anthem to demonstrate solidarity with a city that had just suffered a major blow. Below is a video capture of the Secretary of State (transcript follows):
Trending: Los Angeles starts to defund its police
A couple days ago at Yankee Stadium, the Yankees posted the Boston Red Sox logo, and they sang ‘Sweet Adeline during, after the third inning, I think, but it was a great tribute to the way America comes together.
It might have been appropriate to use the occasion to admonish Boston fans, who began the odious practice several years ago of chanting “Yankees suck” whenever their archrivals visit Fenway Park. But at least he could have gotten the song title right. It’s “Sweet Caroline,” written and recorded, nota bene, by Neil Diamond, a native New Yorker.
- Obama gets booed at fundraiser in Boston after mentioning baseball trade
- Obama comments on NFL officiating fiasco an apt assessment of his presidency (Video)
- Who’s going to the Superbowl? Don’t ask Joe Biden
- First Lady flub: Calls herself a ‘busy single mother’ during CBS interview
- John Kerry: Media should not give equal time to Tea Party
- Obama’s slip is showing again: Gets history of atom wrong in big speech
- Obama busted: Thursday’s economic reboot speech recycled from earlier address
- Correction: Obama IS too cool to joke about
- A golfing Obama skips one hole to avoid being photographed
- Remember when Obama was too cool to joke about?
- Barack Obama: “funniest person alive”