It was another case of parents in need of parenting, but this time the outcome was deadly. Bluefield, W.Va., NBC affiliate WVVA (h/t The Blaze) reports that an argument that started last Thursday between two students on a school bus intensified when the girls’ mothers became involved. By the time the smoke had cleared (literally), one of the two women lay dead, the other behind bars, charged with first-degree murder.
The fatal shooting occurred around 10 p.m. The two adult women involved, Judith Kowaleski and Elizabeth Slagle, had exchanged phone calls and texts regarding the disagreement between their daughters and agreed to meet to settle their differences. Both came armed, Slagle with a “Taser-like weapon,” Kowaleski with a gun.
According to a criminal complaint obtained by WVVA, Kowaleski told police Slagle had been the aggressor. She maintains that Slagle tased both her and an aunt who had accompanied her, after which a scuffle ensued. Kowaleski further insists that she was trying to get Slagle off her when the gun discharged.
The complaint includes testimony by a witness who happened on the scene and states that the two women were administering CPR to the victim.
Slagle was taken to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead from a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Kowaleski was arraigned Friday morning and is being held without bond.
- Parents in need of parents: Angry mothers brawl at pre-school graduation
- 13-year-old girl shot by classmate on school bus dies of injuries (Photos)
- 8-year-old slashes fellow school student with blade in schoolyard fight
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon
- Teacher tells 7-year-old she’s ‘too sexy’ for gym class
- Shock video of disabled teen being tortured by ‘teachers’ shown at trial
- School up in arms over student’s mural depicting ‘nuclear family’
- Special needs student dies after teacher makes him wear ‘homemade’ neck brace
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- Sixth NYC school staff member in 2 months arrested for groping students
- School claims 7-year-old is racist for asking classmate about skin color
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- Four-year-old brings marijuana to school, offers to share with classmates
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- NJ boy suspended from school because Muslim girl overheard him say “Taliban”
- Parents lose custody of son they named Adolf Hitler, two other children