It’s been a rough week for President Obama. On Friday, the usually sympathetic Washington Post Fact Checker gave the commander in chief “4 Pinocchios” for his claim that the Capitol janitors would be receiving a pay cut because of the sequester (which, in a related fib, he has been insisting is the fault of House Republicans).
An even harsher rebuke came from the pen of veteran journalist Bob Woodward, whose reference to a “kind of madness I haven’t seen in a long time” conjured up memories of an earlier president that he helped bring down.
But perhaps the unkindest cut of all was the cold open of last night’s “Saturday Night Live,” which featured a hapless Obama (played by Jay Pharaoh) standing at a White House podium addressing the nation (h/t The Daily Caller):
Good evening everyone, hello. As you probably know, last night I signed an executive order authorizing $85 billion in budget cuts. Now most Americans don’t understand what this whole sequester means. I could explain it in financial terms or human terms. But since I really have no idea about how money works or how budgets work, I’ll go with human terms instead
It went on from there (far too long, as has become the wont of the show) to detail some of the cuts that would ensue:
From now on, my wife Michelle will only do four television appearances a week, down from her usual 75. I also had to sit Joe Biden down and tell him he couldn’t order another Fathead poster for his bedroom wall.
It’s one thing, if you’re the president, to have the mainstream media take you to task for gross exaggerations (which, after all, is their job, whether they have shirked it for four years or not). It’s another to have a television “comedy” program staffed by clueless fawning boobs suddenly turn on you and subject you to the kind of ridicule usually delivered in massive doses to your conservative enemies.
- SNL kills sketch on Obama killing bin Laden, skewers FOX News instead (Photos)
- SNL’s send-up of Al Sharpton misses the funniest joke of all (Video)
- WH plays down threat senior staffer made against Bob Woodward (Photos)
- SNL: Osama bin Laden reading his last will and testament (Video)
- Tracy Morgan on TNT: “Sarah Palin is good masturbation material” (Video)
- SNL Tebow skit: Jesus asks the QB to ‘take it down a notch’ (Video)
- Woodward not the only writer ‘threatened’ by WH; ditto for former Clinton aide
- WH admits ‘putting forward’ idea of sequestration
- TIME article selectively edits text of Obama campaign video
- Veterans for Strong America releases ad countering Obama’s bin Laden ad
- SEALs slam Obama for taking credit for bin Laden raid
- Correction: Obama IS too cool to joke about