Doesn’t Democratic Colorado State Representative Joe Salazar know there’s a war (against women) going on? Apparently not, because on Monday, Mediaite reports, Salazar made an argument on the House floor in favor of House Bill 13-1226. The legislation calls for prohibiting concealed carry of firearms on Colorado college campuses. Opponents claims that the law would strip co-eds of the opportunity to “level the field” and legally protect themselves from potential attackers.
But Salazar sees a clear and present danger with arming the weaker sex. Or as he so eloquently explained it:
There are some gender inequities on college campuses…. It’s why we have call boxes, it’s why we have safe zones, it’s why we have the whistles. Because you just don’t know who you’re gonna be shootin’ at.
You don’t know if you feel like you’re gonna be raped, or if you feel like someone’s been following you around or if you feel like you’re in trouble when you may actually not be, that you pop out that gun and you pop, pop a round at somebody.
It took almost no time for Salazar to recognize the breadth and scope of the corner he had painted himself into and to attempt to backtrack. “I’m sorry if I offended anyone,” he said in a statement. “That was absolutely not my intention.”
But by that point the damage was done. On Tuesday morning, FOX 31 Denver notes, House Republicans issued a press release asking Gov. John Hickenlooper and Speaker Mark Ferrandino to “condemn” Salazar’s comment. In her own statement to reporters, GOP Rep. Polly Lawrence said:
Questioning a woman’s judgment over whether or not she is about to be raped is insensitive and insulting to women everywhere.
No matter what sort of policy position you’re trying to advance, questioning the rational ability of women to perceive threats around them is something Democrat leaders should condemn.
- Civility update: Dem congressmen nearly come to punches in debate
- CO school segregates tutoring program: No white students allowed (Photos)
- Alec Baldwin accused of racist rant against black newspaper photographer
- The left’s not-so-faux war on women
- 6-year-old airs grievances over gender imbalance (Photos)
- Rahm Emanuel urges two major banks to stop lending to gun manufacturers
- Modest proposal for ending gun violence: Make gun owners buy liability insurance
- Liberal radio host so turned off by listeners’ gun views he quits own show
- The Lilly Ledbetter Act does not ensure women equal pay for equal work
- Dem strategist says ‘hateful language’ will ‘kill crazy crackers on right’
- Love tweets to Brad Pitt’s mom: Liberals provide another lesson in civility