“It was cold and she wasn’t sure how the weather would affect her pipes.” Or, if you prefer: “She didn’t have time to rehearse.” These are two of the explanations put forth by spokesmen for singer Beyoncé, who has confirmed suspicions that she lip-synched “The Star-Spangled Banner” at the presidential inauguration last week.
If you thought the matter was resolved, then you haven’t been paying attention to Chuck Schumer. On Sunday, the senior senator from New York said he is still awaiting an apology from the songstress. During his regular Sunday press conference, the New York Post reports, Schumer told reporters, “I have not heard from her,” adding, I “want an apology.
In case you’re wondering why Schumer believes he personally is entitled to a mea culpa, it is because he is credited with having enlisted the services of the pop diva for the big swearing-in ceremony. In a snapshot taken during the performance, he can be seen standing behind her and beaming like a proud papa as she appeared to belt out the familiar strains.
When cornered on Sunday and asked whether he knew Beyoncé was faking it, a testy Schumer snapped back, “I couldn’t tell. I only saw her from the back.”
The Obama administration swears on a stack of bibles that they had no idea that the singer would resort to using prerecorded media and were later “left fuming over the embarrassment.”
For her part, Beyoncé is scheduled to perform during the Super Bowl halftime show next weekend, where she’ll sing one of her own hits, “Crazy in Love.” The game will take place in New Orleans, where the temperature shouldn’t pose a problem. Will she know the words and tune to her own song? You’d have to ask her — or her buddy, Chuck Schumer.
- ‘Obama Condoms’ sold at Inauguration at engorged price (Photos)
- Bill Press declares war … on the National Anthem (Photos)
- The national anthem deserves better than Christina Aguilera
- Proposed IN state bill would penalize ‘inappropriate’ singing of national anthem
- The Obama flag: ‘I pledge allegiance to his nibs…’
- Chris Christie comes under fire for lowering flags to honor Whitney Houston
- Now Showing: Painting of Obama trampling the Constitution
- NH school confiscates autistic 12-year-old boy’s American flag
- Olive Garden: Displaying American flag might be ‘disruptive’ to diners
- Is the American flag on Sarah Palin’s bus a violation of federal law?
- Calderon takes shots at America while Obama reloads for his turn
- Presidential seal falls off podium during Obama speech