New York City Police want the public’s help identifying the perpetrator of the violent murder early Sunday of an Asian man who was pushed in front of a speeding subway train as his wife looked on in horror. According to CBS New York, “Witnesses told police they saw a man push the victim before running out of the station and catching a Bx35 bus.”
So what does this person of interest look like? That is for CBS’s reporters to know and you to find out evidently. The article consists of 327 words, none of them describing the assailant. The piece does reveal the victim’s name and age, Wai Kuen Kwok and 61 respectively, and further indicates that his 59-year-old wife was too distraught to answer questions. Reporters were so thorough that they visited the Bronx home of the victim to ascertain “what kind of person [he] was.”
But when it comes to the killer’s identity, CBS is uncharacteristically tongue-tied. Which is odd. Presumably police asked eyewitnesses to provide a physical description of the man. To the network’s credit, the article does provide a surveillance video distributed by the NYPD that reveals that he was black — which may be why there is no verbal description.
This is hardly the first time the mainstream media has omitted the race of the assailant in a violent crime. Back in 2013, there was a spate of such factually incomplete reports (see here, here, and here). LU also reported on an organization that calls itself the Society of Professional Journalists, which is dedicated to obscuring the racial identity of violent criminals.
- White teen savagely beaten on FL school bus by purple people eaters
- Society of Professional Journalists’ code of silence on race-based crime
- Purple people eaters set white teen on fire
- Victim of ‘I hate white people’ rampage in NYC park dies
- Spray-painting vandals in Philly misspell racial slur, write ‘F**k Crakers’
- Armed woman fends off would-be carjackers of indeterminate race
- U. of Minnesota Black Student Union: Stop mentioning race in crime alerts
- Purple people eaters strike again: Gay man hospitalized after gang beatdown
- Black man in hoodie stabs 17-year-old ‘white Hispanic’ girl 11 times
- Another day, another ‘justice for Trayvon’ beating, robbery
- Charles Blow apologizes for religious insult, NYT ready to ‘move on’
- School claims 7-year-old is racist for asking classmate about skin color