Time to play “What’s wrong with this picture?” The image in question, which appears at the left, was developed by Enterprise Florida, a group responsible for economic development in the Sunshine State. But some in the business community are calling foul, according to a report by FOX 35 News in Orlando (h/t The Blaze).
The problem, in case you failed to notice, is the necktie, used in place of the letter “i.” Neckties are items of male apparel. Therefore the logo is sexist.
Pamela Rogan, President of the Central Florida Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO), explains:
I thought immediately that it set us back, all the work that we’ve done. It’s not that they have to make it pink or ‘girlie,’ but maybe put a briefcase or something like an iPhone or smart phone in there to represent business.
There are a lot of other icons I think can better represent business.
Rogan said the logo might discourage female CEOs from accepting work in Florida, adding that “when you’re going to a strange place, and you think that’s the stigma that’s there, you may think twice.” But Enterprise Florida Public Relations Manager Sean Helton argues that the company field-tested the logo, showing it to some two dozen female CEOs, and that none took exception with it.
Maybe that’s because top female executives know which side their bread is buttered on. The Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that job openings for CEOs regardless of sex are likely to grow at a slower rate than the average for all occupations through 2020. Anyone who passes up a position in Florida over a trifle deserves hard times.
Finally, a case can be made that women, who long ago started wearing the pants in the family, have adopted the necktie as a fashion statement as well. That or the camera lies.
- University to sponsor workshop on better orgasms for co-eds (Photos)
- College orders construction crew to remove sexist ‘men working’ sign
- The left’s not-so-faux war on women
- Latest feminist complaint: You never see the Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus
- Celeb chefs join 13-year-old’s crusade for gender-neutral EZ Bake Oven (Photos)
- NYC schools giving out tens of thousands of ‘morning-after pills’ (Photos)
- UNC drops term ‘freshman’ in favor of ‘gender-inclusive’ language
- New Obama survey: White males need not stand up and be counted
- Sandra Fluke: Pols should be given ‘pro-woman’ litmus test prior to election
- From the “You can’t make these things up” department
- ‘A Better Life for Julia’
- What ‘The Life of Julia’ really tells us
- The Lilly Ledbetter Act does not ensure women equal pay for equal work
- 6-year-old airs grievances over gender imbalance
- DOJ upholds transgendered man’s lawsuit over right to use female restrooms