The Sunday network news shows are beginning to seem like the Obama administration’s nemesis. It was on the Sunday circuit that U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice made questionable claims about the Benghazi consulate raid that ultimately dashed her chances at a nomination for Secretary of State.
The latest Sunday news drama played out today on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” Outgoing Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta was a guest on the show, and at one point intimated that the CIA did in fact employ “enhanced interrogation” methods similar to those depicted in the film “Zero Dark Thirty” on detainees and that the tactics were effective.
While Panetta wouldn’t go so far as to say that waterboarding of jihadi prisoners was responsible for the capture of Obama bin Laden — whom he insists the U.S. would have caught up with anyway, he did say:
The real story is that in order to put the puzzle of intelligence together that led us to bin Laden, there was a lot of intelligence. There were a lot of pieces out there that were a part of that puzzle. Yes, some of it came from some of the tactics that were used at that time — interrogation tactics that were used. But the fact is we put together most of that intelligence without having to resort to that. I think we could have gotten bin Laden without that. [Emphasis added]
Gateway Pundit provides a reminder that this was not the first time Panetta admitted that enhanced interrogation techniques led the U.S. to bin Laden, noting that the secretary made similar comments back in May 2011.
- Obama now has a Susan Rice problem in addition to his Benghazi problem
- Does Obama still think Hagel is ‘the leader our troops deserve’?
- Obama to nominate Susan ‘spontaneous mob reaction’ Rice for Secretary of State
- Breaking: Top Obama appointee cut reference to Al Qaeda in Benghazi memo (Photos)
- White House denies stripping mention of Al Qaeda from CIA talking points
- Breaking: WH had info on ID of Benghazi attackers within 2 hours
- Obama told debate participant he DIDN’T call Benghazi attack terrorism at first
- Clinton distances U.S. government from ‘disgusting’ anti-Muslim film (Video)
- Hillary Clinton’s new specs are to correct vision problems after concussion (Photos)
- WH defends Hillary’s ‘what difference does it make’ remark on Benghazi raid