A press release by Matt Wolking, spokesman for the Select Committee on Benghazi, indicates that Democrats have wasted $2 million in taxpayer money to do little more than obstruct the investigation into what went down on Sept. 11, 2012, what then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton knew, and when she knew it.
The commitee is turning the tables on Democrats who have issued over 40 press releases hyping the cost of the Benghazi investigation.
The costs of course include those incurred by the Democrats themselves, but what makes that even more hypocritical is that their spending of taxpayer dollars has not been in the interests of getting at the truth but, rather, obfuscating it.
Wolking’s release referred to Democrats’ actions as a “politically-motivated effort … to undermine and obstruct the investigation into a terrorist attack that killed four Americans.”
Via the Select Committee on Benghazi:
Republicans on the Benghazi Committee have conducted a thorough, fact-centered investigation, interviewing 69 witnesses to date, including 55 who had never before been interviewed by a congressional committee. Seven of those were eyewitnesses to the attacks. Witnesses have said the committee’s questions were “very constructive” and demonstrated “professionalism and respect.” Republicans have also obtained and reviewed roughly 100,000 pages of documents, about 70,000 of which had never before been obtained or reviewed by a congressional committee.
In contrast, Democrats on the Benghazi Committee:
- Can’t name a single witness from the Obama administration they have requested to interview.
- Can’t name a single new document they have requested from the Obama administration.
- Launched an “asked and answered database” in September 2014, before the committee interviewed a single new witness and before it obtained roughly 55,000 new pages of documents.
- Claimed “On February 13, 2015, the State Department completed its production to the Select Committee of Secretary Clinton’s emails relating to the Benghazi attacks,” two months before the committee received another 100 pages in June and five months before the committee received another 1,500 pages in September.
- Issued more than 60 press releases (and counting) defending their endorsed candidate for president.
- Did not deny “strategic coordination with the campaign” of their endorsed candidate.
- Admitted they asked every witness the same questions about their endorsed candidate.
- Are “doing her work for her,” according to CNN.
The committee is still waiting to receive crucial documents from the State Department and CIA, and still waiting for key witnesses to be made available for interviews.
The $2 million amounts to over one-third of the committee’s spending.
A Democratic committee spokesman told the Daily Caller, “It is disappointing, and frankly sad, that Republicans are trying to blame Democrats for their wastefulness and ineffectiveness on the Benghazi Committee,” though he offered little in the way of rebuttal to the above points.
Cross-posted at the Mental Recession