Move over, Jonathan Gruber, Time for another White House “expert” to offer counterevidence to a narrative the Obama administration has pushing since Day One. White House Science Advisor John Holdren, whose emails were the focus of a recent lawsuit filed against the administration, was asked in a Q&A last week about man-made global warming. A video of his comments, below, was made available by MRCTV, along with a transcript, which follows:
We know beyond any reasonable doubt that humans are the main cause of the warming of the earth’s climate that has been measured over the past few decades. The warming is unequivocal.
While the climate of the earth has changed over the millennia as a result of natural factors – principally changes in the tilt and orientation of the earth’s axis and rotation, and in the shape of its orbit around the sun – those changes occur far too gradually to have noticeable effects over a period of mere decades. In their current phases, moreover, they would be gradually cooling the earth – taking us to another ice age – if they weren’t being more than offset by human-caused warming. [Emphasis added]
The money portion of the video begins at around 1:23:
And there you have it: straight from the horse’s … er — mouth. There are two statements within the highlighted section of the remarks that bear further scrutiny. First is the claim that climate “changes occur far too gradually to have noticeable effects over a period of mere decades.” But if that’s true, then on what basis does Holdren assert in the previous paragraph that “we know beyond any reasonable doubt that humans are the main cause of the warming of the earth’s climate”?
Second he asserts that if it weren’t for “human-caused warming,” the planet would be on the verge of another ice age. Wouldn’t that presuppose that curtailing the habits of evil climate-changing humans would lead to a whole different type of climate disaster?
The question for the administration now is whether all the president’s man will circle the wagons, as they did with Gruber, and claim that Holdren is just some guy who wandered into the White House and doesn’t speak for the administation?
- Obama administration sued over White House science adviser emails
- What is global warming responsible for? What isn’t it responsible for? A guide for liberals
- The ongoing progressive battle against the ‘surplus’ population
- How much weather is being caused by climate change? Maybe 1 part in 1,000
- Liberal media react to Gosnell trial: The good, the bad, and the ugly
- What if an abortionist was tried for murdering babies born live and no one came to the trial?
- Planned Parenthood rep argues for killing babies born alive after failed abortion