Chalk up another win for the good guys — girls in this case— who managed not only to overpower an armed home invader until authorities could reach the scene but put a beatdown on him severe enough to send him to the hospital.
D.C. CBS affiliate WUSA has the story:
A home invader faces attempted murder after two women helped wrestle his gun away, beat him severely, and detain him until officers arrive, according to police.
It happened during an attack on an apartment in the 3500 block of Pear Tree Court in the Bel Pre area late Sunday.
Five victims were at home, including two small children. A 26-year old man was shot in the shoulder but is expected to recover. The two children witnessed the attack but were not injured, according to police.
The suspect, Barrington Dean Watts, 30, is in the hospital under police supervision. He has been charged with attempted murder, robbery, assault, and felony handgun use. Police are still looking for a pair of accomplices who managed to make off with cash stolen from the home.
Montgomery County police say Watts and two accomplices went to the apartment with robbery in mind around 9 p.m. Sunday. While one robber acted as a lookout, Watts and another man burst through the apartment door and confronted two women and a man. After the robbery, one of the women grabbed for Watts’s gun and a struggle unfolded. That’s when the male victim was shot and Watts was stripped of his gun, beaten and captured.
The news report from WUSA follows:
- Two female home invaders shot by Texas homeowner (Video)
- Another mother of another teen shot and killed in home break-in blames homeowner
- Families of armed robbers shot to death by concerned citizen demand justice (Video)
- Family of black teen who attempted armed robbery irate that a Good Samaritan shot him (Video)
- Armed Detroit mom fights off home invaders
- NBC’s idea of home invasion defense: Bug spray, treat burglar ‘like royalty’ (Video)
- FL man calls 911 during violent home invasion, gets switched to voice mail
- OK man comes to neighbor’s aid during home burglary, one perp dead
- Detroit police chief to homeowners: Shoot first, ask questions later
- Homeowner charged with manslaughter for shooting armed intruder
- Detroit homeowner shoots, kills 1 of 2 intruders
- Video: Female homeowner shoots, kills armed robber
- Obama nominee for Surgeon General says banning guns is part of medicine