One of these days, it is hoped, future generations of the group now known as Islamists look back on the atrocities of their forebears with appropriate shock and dismay. When (if?) that ever happens, here is hoping further that blame for the unspeakable acts being perpetrated in the early 21st century in the name of religious solidarity is not carried over.
Every culture has its closet full of skeletons, symbolic or otherwise. One of America’s great stains is the chapter of its history that includes the enslavement of Africans, who were brought to these shores in chains and sold into indentured servitude. Happily, that practice ended in the mid-19th century. But you’d never know it to listen to Democrats, who have been making political hay out of it for the last sixty-plus years. In its most extreme form, the grievance over slavery has been perverted into calls for reparations and seeks to exact penance from families who emigrated to the U.S. decades after the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation.
One family who reportedly didn’t arrive here of late is that of Michelle Nunn, U.S. Senate candidate for Georgia, who according to Gotnews, were slave owners:
Sam Nunn’s great grandfather and Michelle’s great-great grandfather, Samuel H.J. Sistrunk was a slave owner in Georgia!
The 1850 Census shows he owned 13 slaves and that number doubled to 26 in the 1860 census.
Gotnews provides abundant documentation for the claims, which also reveal that Sistrunk was himself black!
What does any of this have to do with Michelle Nunn’s qualifications to serve as a U.S. Senator or lack thereof? Absolutely nothing. Some commentators, including the Daily Caller’s Charles C. Johnson, have asked whether Nunn will apologize:
— Charles C. Johnson (@ChuckCJohnson) November 3, 2014
But why should she? Why should anyone whose family held slaves? Or was a member of the German SS at Buchenwald during the Second World War? Or participated in the genocidal slaughter in Rwanda in the 1990s?
There have always been atrocities, and it appears sadly that there always will be. To understand them and strive to prevent future ones is a worthwhile endeavor. To capitalize on them for political gain is not.
- Picture of the Day: ISIS goon teaches infant to kick severed head of Syrian soldier
- MSNBC’s response to Oklahoma beheading story? Muslims are hilarious!
- MSNBC’s Harris-Perry calls OK beheading ‘workplace violence,’ beheader a ‘gentleman’
- Islamic terror group releases beheading video of French tourist
- ISIS defector: Beheading of US journalists by Brit was recruiting tool (Video)
- Islamist cleric flips over all the cards, declares ‘Islam a religion of beheading’
- BREAKING: ISIS releases video showing another beheading, vicitm Steven Sotloff *UPDATE* (ISIS video)
- Imam Kerry outraged ISIS exploiting Islam to justify slavery
- Get ready for a national debate about slavery reparations
- Wilmington councilwoman says legacy of slavery is driving blacks crazy
- More reports of girls sold into Jihadist sexual slavery
- Melissa Harris-Perry digs her hole deeper, invoking imperialism, slavery