I can’t recall a story this revolting since writing about the TSA’s confiscating a 6-inch plastic toy hammer from a mentally challenged adult who carried it everywhere with him as a “security blanket.”
This time, the concern was not the safety of others but their “convenience.” The UK tabloid Mirror reports that a severely disabled teen, out for a last meal with her family before being shipped off to an institution, was asked to leave Harvester pub because she was annoying other customers. Harvester, the article notes, is part of a chain of eateries that describes itself as “family friendly.”
The manager, who unseated the group, explained that other diners were complaining that 19-year-old Megan Brennan was making too much noise. “If you can’t keep her quiet,” he is quoted as saying, “I am going to have to ask you to leave.” Megan, who has a mental age of one, suffers from Angleman syndrome, which causes severe disability.
Megan’s mother, Helen, told the paper, “Their customer service from management was appalling. I will never walk into a Harvester again.”
The teen’s brother, Jack, said:
Megan is moving into full-time care but her goodbye meal for her carers was completely ruined by being asked to leave.
It was horrible. I have never seen my mother so upset.
A spokesman for the chain later apologized to Megan and her family and said they are “investigating their complaint thoroughly.” He also offered the mother a £100 gift token. Coals to Newcastle?
- TSA takes toy away from mentally challenged man
- NYC restaurant has no-talking policy
- Mississippi: Vet beaten after being warned Waffle House wasn’t ‘safe for whites’
- Elderly couple kicked out of McDonald’s for sitting ‘too long’ offered free meals for life
- Blind man says restaurant ejected him because of seeing eye dog
- Police chief boycotts Denny’s after officers ejected for being armed
- Interactive product, Guitar Pee, converts urinal user into music whiz
- Waitress at Red Lobster attacked for refilling water glasses too often
- FL couple has sex on restaurant table while kids, parents look on
- Utah mom toilet trains her tots at a table in a restaurant
- CA town attempts to ban McDonald’s on religious grounds
- Olive Garden: Displaying American flag might be ‘disruptive’ to diners
- Olive Garden mistakenly serves booze to a child—again
- Denny’s customer picks up tab for restaurant full of total strangers (Photos)
- Obese man suing White Castle because booths are “too small”