What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object? If the unstoppable force is the use of cell phone cameras to take nude selfies (aka “sexting”) and the immovable object is hacking, the result is a pernicious “prank” that has been dubbed The Snappening.
The British newspaper the Mirror reports that hackers claim to have broken into the database of the notorious image-sharing app Snapchat and stolen some 200,000 nude photographs of children as young as 10. The imminent threat to post the pilfered images online comes on the heels of the “Fappening,” which involved the leaking of stolen images of celebrities in compromising poses.
Since half of Snapchat users are between 13 and 17, concerns have been raised that thousands upon thousands of leaked images of underage children will flood the internet, creating not only embarrassment for the subjects and their families but a treasure trove of child pornography for the international pervert community.
The Mirror article cites Britain’s National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children as asserting that as many as 40% of young children have been swapping sexual images. Schoolgirls in the UK, it goes on to say, are increasingly being coerced, presumably be peers, into posting nude selfies. The craze even has a name: “porn to order.”
The trend has found expression here in the U.S. as well, taking the form in some cases of “revenge porn,” deliberating posting salacious images or photos of acquaintances as an act of spite. Some states have passed laws criminalizing revenge porn.
- 4.6 million Snapchat users’ personal data posted online
- 14-year-old sues male peer who posted her nude selfie online
- Do we want an ‘erasable Internet’?
- Mexican teen stabs best friend 65 times for posting nude selfies on Facebook
- CA joins NJ in criminalizing ‘revenge porn’
- 16-year-old girl busted on child porn charges after posting naked ‘selfies’ to Twitter
- Teen who sexted nude pix of boyfriend’s ex faces porn charges
- Dad who arranged nude photos of his daughters pleads not guilty to child porn charges
- Federal cop sends nude selfie to woman who sought his help
- University teaching assistant mistakenly emails nude self-pix to students
- Public sex act captured on video, coed involved claims it was rape