The U.S. may not be at war with Islam, but conservative blogger and Second Amendment activist Jan Morgan is. Morgan, who owns the Gun Cave Indoor Firing Range in Hot Springs, Ark., has declared the business off-limits to Muslims.
In a post at her blog, she offers up ten “facts” on which she says she based her decision. Among them are teachings in the Koran that purportedly promote hate and murder, terrorist acts committed on American soil ranging from 9/11 through the beheading in Oklahoma last Friday (act of workplace violence if you’re Melissa Harris-Perry), and alleged repeated threats on Morgan’s own life by Muslims angry at her for her views. She concludes her list thus:
In summary, I not only have the right, but a responsibility to provide a safe environment for my customers. I do not believe my decision is religious discrimination because I do not classify islam [sic] as a religion.. It is a theocracy/terrorist organization that hides behind the mask of religion in order to achieve its mission of world domination.
People who shoot at my range come from all religious backgrounds… some are atheists… I do not care about their religious beliefs.
I care about the safety of my customers who come to shoot here.
I will do whatever is necessary to provide that environment for them, even at the cost of the increased threats and legal problems this decision will likely provoke.
Ultimately, I believe that Morgan’s decision violates the legal rights of would-be Muslim customers under both the First Amendment and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which came to light most recently in the Hobby Lobby case. In any case, those who maintain — wrongly, I would argue — that Muslims are victims of religious persecution in the U.S. (think CAIR, Barack Obama) will find ammunition in Morgan’s policy.
- MSNBC’s Harris-Perry calls OK beheading ‘workplace violence,’ beheader a ‘gentleman’
- The not-so-secret identity of Alton Nolan, the man who beheaded a former coworker in Oklahoma
- Okla. convert to Islam beheads coworker who refuses to convert
- Muslims laugh and rejoice at site of Christian church burning (Video)
- Supreme Court correctly rules for religious businesses in Hobby Lobby decision
- Islamic school cries Islamophobia: Textbook praises Muslim who ‘loved death more than life’
- Muslim barber refuses to cut hair of lesbian: Whose rights trump whose?
- Muslim cabbies refuse to drive cabs advertising Gay Games
- Chris Christie inducted into CAIR’s ‘best list’ for fighting ‘Islamophobia
- CO high school recites Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic: One Nation under Allah?