Are there words you have trouble saying — would have trouble saying if you had to say them aloud on cable TV? CNN’s Anderson Cooper, who is openly gay, has trouble saying the word vagina, and the difficulties seem to stem from his gaynesss.
This became evident during the “Ridiculist” segment of his show “Anderson Cooper 360,” which focuses on the offbeat. The segment on last evening’s show focused on an American exchange student who became wedged inside a 32-ton marble sculpture of a vagina in the German town of Tübingen. Eventually, firefighters were able to free him.
The story has an almost inexhaustible range of comedic possibilities … unless you have trouble with nasty, icky words, as Cooper does.
“Before you start blowing up my Twitter feed,” he giggles like a schoolgirl at one point, “know that I am not making fun of women or female anatomy in any way. I am making fun of a guy who got stuck in a sculpture,” adding:
Look, I am certainly no expert on the topic of [pause] vaginas, artistic or otherwise. They really aren’t my wheelhouse, so to speak.
Oh, I get it: You’re a homosexual, and you want everybody to understand that the mere thought of coitus with a woman is so repugnant that you can’t bring yourself to talk about her you-know-what.
Somehow, I get the sense this is all supposed to be charming. It is not. Neither is it refreshing, liberated, 21st-century, or any number of attributives that might be appended to it … except for sad. A grown man who can’t utter the anatomical name of a body part on television has no business being there.
- Kathy Griffin kisses Anderson Cooper’s crotch on live TV
- A liberal confesses: We have nothing to fear but the fear of thinking itself
- Video: MSNBC warns viewers r-word about to be spoken
- MSNBC’s Melissa Harris-Perry: NBA is about ‘profit from the sale of black bodies’
- MSNBC panel mulls rights of Satanists as ‘marginalized community’
- MSNBC panelist: I wish we’d finally man up and have a conversation about race
- Black student attempts to make ‘artistic statement’ with ‘white lynching’
- Student to lose virginity via gay sexual encounter before audience in name of art