By now, you have doubtless seen the clip of former National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor answering Bret Baier’s questions about Benghazi, but if you haven’t, the video appears below. Thomas Lifson has the transcript of Thursday’s interview on Fox News Channel at American Thinker.
The money exchange occurs when Baier grills Vietor on who changed the word attacks to demonstrations in the talking points that were parroted by Susan Rice on five news shows the Sunday after the Sept. 11 raid.
Vietor’s remarkable reaction — remarkable both because he is too nerdy-looking to carry off the bored surfer routine and secondly because the answer is grossly inappropriate coming from a onetime high-level White House spokesman — is:
Dude, this was, like, two years ago. We’re still talking about the most mundane thing.
Baier’s response is deservedly snide: He leads with the word dude, said as mockingly as he can muster. But let’s go back to the videotape, as Werner Wolf used to say, because what comes next is also astonishing:
BAIER: Dude, it’s what everybody is talking about.
VIETOR: We’re talking about the process of editing talking points. That’s what bureaucrats do all day long. Your producers edit scripts multiple times.
Vietor is comparing the editing of talking points by a news producer with the White House changing a narrative about an attack that killed four Americans — this less than two months before a presidential election! So will this be the official administration response to the questions by the select committee that is being organized at last to get to the bottom of what appears to be a cover-up?
Or will Barack Obama further sully the office of the Presidency by calling the question a stinkburger?
- Tweet of the Day: Boehner to form select committee on Benghazi … finally
- Cartoon of the Day: We got your stinkburger, Mr. President
- Obama demonstrates once again how ‘with it’ he is, calls Ryan budget plan ‘stinkburger’
- In inaugural speech Obama calls for end to political name-calling (no joke)
- Emails show Susan Rice coached by White House to lie about Benghazi
- Video: ABC’s Jonathan Karl grills Jay Carney over Benghazi bombshell
- Obama dark money group gives booby prize to ‘climate deniers’ in Congress
- Why would anybody want to impeach Obama? He’s done nothing wrong
- For Obama 10% of the buck stops here
- Obama to Latinos: Help me “punish our enemies” at the ballot box
- As poll numbers dip and gas prices rise, Obama goes on the offensive—against GOP