It’s time once again to play liberals’ least favorite game: “Which Protected Class Are You Going to Defend?” In this corner, back by popular demand, are the nation’s followers of Islam. And in this corner (wearing pink trunks) is the nation’s gay population.
When last these two opposing camps faced off it was in a Toronto barbershop whose owner, Omar Mahrouk, objected to cutting the hair of lesbian Faith McGregor on the grounds of her sex (female) and her sexual preference (other woman). Both, Mahrouk argued, are violations of Shariah law.
This time, the combatants are 25 Muslim drivers in Cleveland and an advertising campaign for the city’s upcoming Gay Games. Fox News reports:
Two of the three companies operating at Ohio’s largest airport were informed by the drivers — one-third of the airport’s total fleet — last week that they will no longer participate in the airport’s dedicated taxicab program. The companies, Ace and Yellow Taxi Cab, were told by the drivers that their decision was based on religious reasons, airport spokeswoman Jacqueline Mayo told FoxNews.com.
Ann Gynn, a spokeswoman for the Gay Games, said she believes the protest is an “isolated” case and not indicative of the beliefs held by most residents in Cleveland and Akron, where the Gay Games will be held on Aug. 9-16.
The nonprofit Gay Games, the article notes, are open to all adults regardless of sexual orientation. As Glynn explains, “the Gay Games are about inclusion… This is about inclusiveness on sporting fields and welcoming people as they are.”
Then why not give the event a more inclusive name, perhaps the Everyman Games? Oh, wait … that wouldn’t account for women. Or transgenders. Or trees.
As you can see, the problem gets hairy.
Not as hairy, though, as the dilemma that libs find themselves in. If they side with followers of Muhammad, who after all are maligned for their penchant for blowing things up, then they slight the gays, who are maligned for their intolerance, and vice versa.
- Muslim barber refuses to cut hair of lesbian: Whose rights trump whose?
- Muslim father charged with murder of lesbian daughter and her lover
- Arizona business owner, children, receive death threats for supporting religious freedom bill
- Wait — shouldn’t we be able to refuse service to people?
- Billboard offends gay community, but is it really controversial?
- GLAAD finds Americans not so glad about Phil Robertson firing
- Mozilla Firefox blasted with negative feedback over ouster of CEO Brendan Eich
- Mozilla’s gay-marriage litmus test violates liberal values
- Why are liberals willing to tolerate black intolerance toward gays?
- Fringe element at Dartmouth threatens ‘physical action’ if demands not met
- Is ‘bigoted’ letter to ‘Dear Abby’ latest anti-gay hoax
- The latest anti-gay hoax is a teachable moment: Will liberals learn from it?
- Disapproving RSVP to party invitation from child with two dads goes viral [UPDATE]
- Breaking: Story about ‘homophobic RSVP mom’ was a moronic HOAX
- Waitress who says she was stiffed because she was gay lied
- Wounded Warriors has no record of donation from lying lesbian waitress
- Waitress who lied about anti-gay note from customer was dishonorably discharged from Marines
- Kerry: Gay rights are ‘the very heart’ of U.S. diplomatic efforts world-wide
- Gay rights advocates in Israel want TV puppets to admit they’re gay