In his novel “A Clockwork Orange,” Anthony Burgess depicts a horrifying dystopian future as seen through the eyes of a first-person narrator who starts out as a villain and ends up a victim. After being arrested, Alex, the protagonist, is given a chance for redemption. As part of his rehabilitation, he has to agree to be tied to a chair with his eyes taped open while horrible acts of depraved violence and murder are projected non-stop on a screen before him.
The scene came to mind after I watched a 3-minute video compiled by the Washington Free Beacon in which Barack Obama is shown promising no fewer than 36 times that if you like your health care plan or doctor, you can keep your health plan or doctor once Obamacare kicks in.
The language and tone vary slightly from repetition to repetition until the final iteration on Nov. 4, 2013. On this most recent occasion, two days ago, the pledge undergoes a dramatic revision. The beginning is more or less the familiar “if you like your plan” rhetoric. But here is how it ends:
What we said is you could keep it [long pause] if it hasn’t changed since the law passed.
In the scene prior to this one, shot on Oct. 25 — nearly a full month after the launch of the online exchanges — the president was still parroting the same old promise with qualification or caveat, punctuated at the end by the word “Period!”
If you agree that Obama should be strapped to a chair à la Alex and forced to watch this video compilation day and night, kindly signify by a show of hands.
- Does Jay Carney realize he’s now Ron Ziegler?
- Comedy tonight: Healthcare.gov crashes just as CMS chief brags it’s working great
- The White House may have to snitch on the White House for being ‘fishy’
- A glimpse of the ‘small sliver’ of Americans whose policies have been dropped
- So Obama lied. All presidents do it, right?
- Duke healthcare expert: 68% may lose insurance under Obamacare
- Manhattan Institute analysis: Obamacare raising premiums by 41% nationwide
- CMS memo obtained by CBS shows that 6 people signed up for Obamacare on Day 1
- If you wait till you’re sick to sign up for Obamacare, you may pay through the nose
- Three myths about Barack Obama exploded by the health care debacle
- WH adviser warned 3 years ago that Obamacare was headed for disaster
- About that Obamacare penalty: The government has no way of enforcing it
- Obamacare sticker shock gives way to anger