Women and children first! Wait, make that woman first! The kid will have to find his own escape route.
According to DNAinfo New York, a Manhattan mother (and I do mean “mother”) is under arrest for attempting to boost $250 worth of candy from a downtown health and beauty aids outlet on Oct. 7. But shoplifting is the most pardonable of 23-year-old Michelle Calderon sins. The least pardonable is her having bolted from the store, leaving her 1-year-old behind in his stroller after employees caught her red-handed.
Calderon stashed the pilfered goodies in the bottom of the baby’s pram, which she pressed into use as a battering ram and roadblock while she made her escape.
The young mother, who had been arrested in June for smuggling an cocaine into Rikers Island and was out on $50 cash bail, had help. Raymond Lebron, 20, was assigned to stealing cough drops and gum. Darnell Johnson, 26, served as a lookout inside the store.
In addition to the candy, the trio’s ill-gotten gains included $179 worth of Halls throat drops, $59 worth of Wrigley’s gum, $43 worth of Dentyne gum, and $15 worth of Tic Tacs.
A criminal complaint filed by the Manhattan District Attorney’s office charges all three defendants with attempted robbery. Lebron has also been charged with assault after striking a worker in the face, cutting the man’s chin and throat. Calderon is being charged with endangering the welfare of a minor and abandonment.
She is back at Rikers, but this time as a guest of the facility. She is being held against $15,000 bail.
The child was taken by the Administration for Children’s Services. An ACS investigation of the incident is ongoing.
- Mother fleeing crime scene uses own infant as human shield
- Mom Tased daughter in the face for poor job cleaning house
- FL woman left young kids in car while attending rap concert
- Mom forces 9-year-old to pose nude for ‘porn shots’ to send to fiancé in jail
- Staten Island parents charged with attempting to abandon child at police station
- Abandoned children found running naked through Jersey City streets
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon (Photos)
- Dangerous new teen trend: Getting drunk on hand sanitizer
- Olive Garden mistakenly serves booze to a child—again
- Prosecutor blames mother for starvation death of Brooklyn 4-year-old
- Father arrested, strip-searched after 4-year-old draws ‘man with gun’
- NYC mom sues city for $900 trillion for taking custody of her children
- Brooklyn mother abandons daughters, 3 and 5, on sidewalk, drives off (Update)
- UK Teens given birth control without parental consent
- Four-year-old brings marijuana to school, offers to share with classmates
- School accuses 6-year-old of sexual assault during schoolyard game of tag
- NJ boy suspended from school because Muslim girl overheard him say “Taliban”
- Parents lose custody of son they named Adolf Hitler, two other children