If “the foundation of every state is the education of its youth,” as Diogenes supposedly wrote, the threat of a collapse of the U.S. is imminent. Just when you thought that a nation whose adult population is dumber on average than humans wordlwide couldn’t get any dumber, The Yankton Daily Press & Dakotan reports (via Weasel Zippers):
On Oct. 7, Alliance High School principal Pat Jones told students they wouldn’t be reciting the pledge that day, pointing out that the federal government had been partially shut down since Oct. 1. Scottsbluff [Neb.] television station KDUH reported that some students were outraged by Jones’ decision, and one woman said her son stood up in class and recited the pledge anyway….
On Monday, Jones declined to comment and referred questions to the district superintendent, Troy Unzicker.
Unzicker said Jones hadn’t cleared his plan with administrators beforehand, but Unzicker said he soon heard about it after school board members started getting calls and emails from parents. Near as he knew, Unzicker said, all the calls were critical of Jones.
Unzicker managed to find a silver lining in Jones’s imbecilic act, claiming that he did get students talking about government. Specifics were not given, but it’s easy to imagine the kinds of questions students might have posed. For example, “Does the government allow people as stupid as the principal to walk around freely without a leash?”
Maybe the story wouldn’t seem quite so odious were it not for other recent developments from the world of education, including the showing in a Wisconsin school of a video urging students to pledge allegiance to Barack Obama. This happened three days before the shutdown began. Another embarrassing chapter in the annals of American education was written on Sept. 11 of this year, when a Boston school canceled the Pledge of Allegiance in favor of a recitation over its public address system of a poem about the hardships of being a Muslim in America.
- MN HS students suspended for defacing school … with American flags
- U.S. adults are the dumbest humans on average
- School district apologizes for indoctrination video pledging allegiance to Obama
- Jimmy Kimmel asks Americans which they prefer: Obamacare or Affordable Care Act
- Judge rules against closure of county park by federal government, which cited federal shutdown as excuse
- Online gov’t program for ferreting out illegal aliens applying for jobs ‘down’ during shutdown
- Vets return BarryCades to Spite House…feels right
- Trayvon Martin Day canceled at Pittsburgh high school after parents protest
- Patriotic Americans fed up with Obama antics storm Lincoln Memorial
- National Park Service should be privatized
- New low: National Park rangers remove handles from drinking fountains
- Old: National Park Service; new: The Park ‘Police’
- Obama administration unnecessarily closes many private businesses in government shutdown
- The Mt. Rushmore presidents’ message to Obama
- White House uses ‘government shutdown’ as excuse to force closing of privately-run tourist attraction
- NY school bans balls at recess, games of tag
- CNN anchor can’t recollect last time a shooting at a U.S. military facility occurred: Really?
- Boston school recites Muslim poem instead of Pledge of Allegiance on anniversary of 9/11