For a “phony scandal,” the administration’s actions during and after the Sept. 11, 2012 terrorist raid on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi sure have all the makings of a cover-up — and a pretty unseemly one at that.
The latest intimation that the White House has not been candid came with the charge by CNN’s Jake Tapper on Thursday that the CIA has been routinely subjecting its operatives to polygraphs in order to keep secrets from the Benghazi attack from becoming public.
Tapper’s show, “The Lead” tweeted, “CIA is polygraphing operatives regularly, in an ‘unprecedented’ attempt to keep Benghazi secrets, sources tell CNN.”
A source also reportedly told the cable network that as many as 35 Americans were in the consulate the night of the attack and that at least seven of them were seriously injured.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Minnesota fireworks
On Thursday, CNN reported:
The CIA is involved in what one source calls an unprecedented attempt to keep the spy agency’s Benghazi secrets from ever leaking out. Since January, some CIA operatives involved in the agency’s missions in Libya, have been subjected to frequent, even monthly, polygraph examinations, according to a source with deep inside knowledge of the agency’s workings. The goal of the questioning, according to sources, is to find out if anyone is talking to the media or Congress.
In the meantime, the president’s repeated claims in speeches this week that the scandals plaguing his presidency are “phony” would be laughable if they weren’t so tragic. Four Americans were brutally murdered in the anniversary raid in Benghazi. No one knows that better than Obama, who made a point of appearing in front of news cameras at Andrews Air Force Base with then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to solemnly receive the remains of Ambassador Chris Stevens.
Also, Obama’s calling the investigations “phony” is a little rich when his own U.N. ambassador was dispatched to five Sunday news shows to put out the same phony narrative that the consulate attack was a popular uprising based on a video that offended Muslims. As recently as May of this year, the Washington Post’s fact checker — held aloft in past years by White Press Secretary Jay Carney as the ultimate arbiter of truth — gave Obama the maximum four Pinocchios for his revisionist history of his administration’s statements on Benghazi.
At the very least, the president owes an explanation, if not an apology, to the families of those individuals killed. For them, there is nothing phony about the death of their loved ones.
- Obama digs hole deeper with statements that don’t match Benghazi info timeline
- Did fear of tough questions from the press about Benghazi makes Obama cry?
- Far from partisan hack, whistleblower Gregory Hicks is registered Dem, voted for Hillary and Obama
- Dems circle wagons around Hillary in re Benghazi
- Joe Biden tells parents of SEAL killed in Benghazi their son had ‘balls’ (Photos)
- Father of fallen Marine outraged over condolence ‘form letter’ from president
- Breaking: WH had info on ID of Benghazi attackers within 2 hours
- Biden Libya debate claim throws Hillary Clinton under the bus (Video)
- Embassy killings and protests prompt MSM, Dems to attack Mitt Romney (Video)
- Debate 2 opens Pandora’s box on Benghazi consulate attack
- A desperation move by the Obama camp leaves many ‘literally’ speechless