HB 2, the pro-life measure that has sparked heated debate in Texas, advanced in the state legislature Tuesday despite heated rhetoric from protesters and Democrats and picked up votes after state Sen. Wendy Davis’ nearly 11-hour filibuster.
Talking Points Memo said state Rep. Senfronia Thompson, a Democrat, argued that women taught pro-life men how to dress and use the bathroom.
“And all of a sudden when we get to be adults, then we become senile to the extent that we don’t know what is good for ourselves, we cannot make decisions for ourselves, like we can’t think ourselves out of a paper bag. And we can,” she said.
A post at Weasel Zippers countered: “And pro-abortion men weren’t?”
An article at The Blaze said Democrats used coat hangers, a bottle of turpentine and even a feather as props to symbolize illegal and dangerous abortion procedures, which they claimed will become more common if the legislation is passed.
Life News said dozens of angry protesters in the state capitol screamed, “f— the church.”
The site also reported that a pro-abortion activist on Twitter issued a threatening tweet against Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst.
“A woman in Texas could shoot @DavidHDewhurst and use ‘stand your ground’ as a defense. Cause that guy is threatening all women in Texas,” the tweet said.
Earlier in the month, pro-life legislators in Texas received threatening messages from abortion supporters prompting them to call in extra security.
According to reports, State Senator Donna Campbell received messages saying, “I hope you’re raped,” and “I hope your daughter’s raped.”
Other protesters chanted “Hail Satan” as pro-lifers sang “Amazing Grace” at the Capitol.
But despite the often overheated rhetoric by Democrats, threatening messages and chants to Satan, the bill passed its second reading with a vote of 98-49, having gained four votes since Davis’ filibuster.
Twitchy said that abortion rights activists in orange shirts crowded the rotunda and met Republican representatives with a chant of “Shame on you” after Wednesday’s vote.
“Texas Democrats formed a screaming mob to oppose making a woman’s invasive surgical procedure follow basic safety standards,” tweeted Rep. Steve Stockman.
Abortion supporters also tweeted a number of profane, threatening messages.
“THERE WILL BE BLOOD BEFORE THERE IS CHANGE. SHAME ON THE #txlege,” one person tweeted.
The legislature is set to vote on final approval on Wednesday.
Video of one protest can be seen here.
- Pro-life Texas lawmakers receive threats: ‘I hope your daughter’s raped’
- Pro-abortion activists in Texas state Capitol: ‘Hail Satan’
- Satanists decry pro-abortion ‘Hail Satan’ chant as ‘diabolical’
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Records show over 100 pages of threats made against Wisconsin lawmakers
- Unruly mob backed by Democrats, Obama shuts down passage of Texas abortion bill
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- Liberalism remains an ideology of genocidal hate and rage
- Video: Abortion clinic suggests ‘flushing’ baby down toilet if born alive
- Socialists chant for ‘free abortion on demand’ at conference