A distraught Manhattan women who had been arguing with her husband leaped to her death from the window of their eighth-story apartment on Wednesday. Before she took the plunge, she grabbed their 10-month-old child and held him to her body, Miraculously, the child survived the fall.
According to the New York Post, the argument may have been the last straw for Cindy Bacharach, but it was not the lone precipitating factor in her decision to end her life. “Bacharach,” the Post reports, “suffered from acute postpartum depression and left behind a largely incomprehensible 7-page suicide note.”
A Columbia-educated attorney with the New York State Supreme Court, the 44-year-old mother was declared dead at the scene. But according to eyewitness Steven Dominguez, 18, her baby survived by landing on her chest, which cushioned the fall for him:
I heard a scream, a scared scream. I noticed a woman was falling. As she was coming down, she was coming down on her back. I saw the baby bounce on her chest and fall to the concrete. The baby started crying.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Minnesota fireworks
The toddler was rushed to Harlem Hospital where he is said to be in stable condition.
Bacharach’s husband Hal, 48, had already left the apartment before her suicide.
- White 9-year-old driven to suicide by ‘Asian bullies’
- 9-year-old who suicided was bullied for being … white?
- Woman plunges 18 stories to death from Sutton Place high rise
- Woman mistakenly pursued by bloodthirsty mob plunges to her death
- Amber alert for missing toddler and infant brother ends in tragic murder-suicide at hands of grandma
- Baby delivered after his parents were killed in car crash also dies
- Man who carved mom to pieces took photo of himself holding severed head
- Grisly new photos released of man who dismembered mom, including ‘trophy’ pic
- Red tape sends adopted baby in U.S. back to S Korea, where she is unwanted
- NYC nanny stabs toddlers to death, attempts suicide (Video)