Last September country singer Hank Williams, Jr., ignited sparks when he called the president “a Muslim … who hates cowboys” and “loves gays.” The comments were inaccurate and unkind, but one would be hard-pressed to argue they were racist. Yet that was precisely how one celebrity characterized them on Twitter, writing, “I think we need to call Hank Williams Jr what he is…. A broken-down, senile, racist coot.”
The author of the tweet was über-liberal actor Alec Baldwin, who messaged further, “I love to insult these right-wingers, draw them out, then block them.”
Apparently Baldwin is not above hurling the occasional racist slur himself. The New York Post reports that on Sunday the “30 Rock’’ star lashed out at a black newspaper photographer, calling the man a “coon,” as well as a “crackhead” and “drug dealer.”
The ugly comments, which were captured on audiotape by a Post reporter, were hurled after the reporter, Tara Palmeri, approached Baldwin on a street in the East Village to ask about a lawsuit against his wife. According to the tape, played back for New York City police, Baldwin told Palmeri, “I want you to choke to death.”
He then turned his fury on her associate, staff photographer G.N. Miller, who maintains in a statement to police:
He was saying some serious racist stuff. He said some choice words about my mother, and he was telling people in the street that I’m a drug dealer.
He could have said a lot of other stuff. But he used all of the stereotypes associated with black people.
Baldwin filed a complaint of his own, insisting that the photographer “pushed into him’’ and that he had “asked [Miller] to keep his distance.”
- Alec Baldwin for NYC mayor?
- President uses racial code to demean Romney at White House lunch
- Kelsey Grammer for mayor of New York?
- Obama supporters respond to win by tweeting ‘F**k white people’
- Kanye West, Kim Kardashian allowed to bypass security at JFK (Photos)
- Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s hospital lockdown: snubbing the 99%
- Congressional Black Caucus spokesperson: Calling Obama cool is racist (Update)
- Tracy Morgan’s latest comedic target: The mentally challenged
- Tracy Morgan on TNT: “Sarah Palin is good masturbation material” (Video)