Some advice from Allahpundit, former boss-man of LU Green Room veterans: “If you don’t think it’s true that people will secretly hate you for bringing crudités to a Super Bowl party, go ahead and try it this weekend. See if you’re invited back next year.”
AP’s hypothetical is in response to a report via Forbes that fast-food purveyor Taco Bell pulled a 15-second Super Bowl spot on Tuesday after the food police got on their case for badmouthing vegetables. The redoubtable Center for Science in the Public Interest somehow gained access to the ad before it even aired and mounted a campaign on Twitter.
Forbes quotes Taco Bell spokesman Rob Poetsch as saying, “We didn’t want anyone to misinterpret the intent of the ad.” Feel free to judge for yourself whether there is room for misinterpretation by viewing the ad, which appears below (transcript follows):
Veggies on Game Day is like punting on 4th and 1. It’s a cop-out and, secretly, people kind of hate you for it. Introducing Taco Bell’s variety 12 pack with six crunchy tacos and six Doritos Locos tacos. A Game Day tradition, since right now.
Forbes writer Julia Bricklin doesn’t see the ad as pernicious. “Clearly,” she writes, “Taco Bell would much prefer people pick up a twelve-pack of its tacos to bring to a party than pick up a veggie tray. This doesn’t mean people hate vegetables, or even that Taco Bell even hates vegetables.”
Speaking of ex-Green Roomers who have migrated over to LU…
I hope you’ll join me in giving a warm welcome to our newest contributor, Amy Lutz. Amy, whose first LU column appeared today, is a student at Saint Louis University and Assistant Editor for Social Media and Outreach for TheCollegeConservative. Her columns at HotAir were always widely read, as I expect will be the case here, insofar as they bring a Millennial perspective — this in spite of the fact Amy is wise beyond her years.
- Anti-meat group to Heart Attack Grill: ‘Shut it down’
- The Super Bowl commercials you DIDN’T see
- Customer has heart attack while eating aptly named Triple Bypass Burger
- PETA: Prison should serve flesh-free meals to cannibal inmate
- Are Americans unwittingly helping the Food Police?
- The next frontier for the food police: Eliminating milk from school lunch
- White House kid indoctrination video contains dangerous nutritional advice
- White House Task Force on Obesity Report is filled with lies and distortions
- Who’s going to the Superbowl? Don’t ask Joe Biden
- Study: No link between junk food in schools and childhood obesity