What’s that? You missed the president’s shameless stunt at the White House on Thursday in which he carted out four young children as a subtle but graphic reminder of the most tender victims of the Newtown massacre? No worries. On Saturday, the political-huckster-in-chief released the “movie version” for those who missed the original. The White House circulated videos of the same four little darlings reading aloud their anti-gun letters.
Trending: Cartoon of the Day: Minnesota fireworks
Ben Shapiro of Breitbart.com writes:
It was already despicable for Obama to exploit children as a backdrop for his political posturing, implying that his opposition on useless gun control laws somehow cares less about children. Now he’s taken the next step, trotting children out as spokespeople for his agenda.
With all due respect to Shapiro, he’s hardly plumbed the depths of the administration’s hypocrisy. The day before Obama signed 23 executive orders while the four kiddies looked on, his press secretary, Jay Carney, tore into the NRA for its 4½-minute ad that mentioned the armed guards at the school the president’s daughters attend. Groused Carney:
Most Americans agree that a president’s children should not be used as pawns in a political fight. But to go so far as to make the safety of the President’s children the subject of an attack ad is repugnant and cowardly.
As James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal wrote, “That’s not quite accurate. The ad includes neither images nor the names of the Obama daughters.” But the president has little room to complain at any rate. As Taranto noted:
If the president wants his critics to refrain from even indirectly referring to his daughters, he ought to stop exploiting ordinary people’s children in this manner.
And now comes these videos, prompting Keith Koffler of White House Dossier to wonder in print whether “Obama will take this show on the road.”
By the way, give the administration credit for learning its lesson about diversity in its publicity stunts. After taking flak for its photo showing Obama’s all male inner circle, the administration was careful to choose a black child and two females, one of whom is non-white.
- Obama appoints 8 ‘citizen co-chairs’ to extol his virtues at inauguration
- WH takes flak for ‘male-centric’ inner circle, publishes revised photo (Photos)
- Gawker publishes list of ‘all the a**holes who own guns’ in NYC
- Kindergartner suspended for threatening to ‘shoot’ a classmate with bubbles
- GOP paying price for being ‘the adult in the room’
- MSM anchors see insulting historical antecedents in gun debate
- Obama’s 12 favorite photos from 2012; 11 are of him (Photos)
- Ego has landed: President refers to himself 63 times during Inouye eulogy (Photos)
- L’état c’est Obama
- Obama raises hypocrisy bar with 23 executive orders in one fell swoop (Photos)
- Another Maryland 6-year-old suspended for pointing finger like gun
- Gun maker claims BofA froze funds, said he ‘should not be selling guns online’
- Michael Moore: ‘Calm down, white people, and put away your guns’ (Photos)
- CT town to burn violent video games as school begins again (Photos)
- Video mocking celeb anti-gun PSA goes viral
- Liberals toy with idea of profiling white males as solution to Newtown
- Newtown 7th grader seeks to rid nation of violent video games