Another day, another attempt to cleanse the English language of its white-centric, male-dominated nomenclature. This particular lesson comes from a strange bedfellow, William Saletan of Slate, who as a liberal might be expected to welcome, if not advocate for, the New English.
The New English, for those unfamiliar with the term, is a concerted effort by forces on the left to further Barack Obama’s fundamental transformation of the nation by fundamentally transforming its unofficial language. These changes include the replacement of conventional personal pronouns (like he and she) with gender-neutral variants (xe and ze).
In his work, Saletan has actually dabbled in linguistic substitutions, if not the New English per se. In a column he penned in February, he offered a “translation” (his word) of what Obama had to say about radical Islam at his White House “summit on violent extremism” (remember that?). Saletan’s paraphrase actually makes reference to language:
We must choose our language to thwart the enemy’s strategy. Obama used the word narrative seven times in the two speeches. In his view, we’re not just fighting men with guns. We’re fighting a story.
It is thus surprising that Saletan tweeted this:
My son was marked down 5 percent on a high school health test because he chose this "incorrect" definition of family. pic.twitter.com/TnisIK51Mm
— Will Saletan (@saletan) July 8, 2015
I would have pegged Saletan for the sort of person who celebrate the re-definition of family to conform to a modern #LoveWins perspective. Is his objection that his son is being unreasonably penalized over some PC lunacy? Saletan doesn’t bother to reveal whether the “correct” definition was the one his son was taught to regurgitate on tests. If so wouldn’t that amount to hypocrisy on his part?
The “correct” answer, meantime, makes presumptions about family that are demonstrably false. If every member of every family cared for and about every other member, spousal and child abuse would be non-existent. Like so much else emanating from the left, this fanciful notion non-scientific and built moreover on an unrealistic and largely unattainable goal. No wonder liberals are in a bad mood so much of the time.
- Dems declare war on words ‘husband,’ ‘wife’
- Tweet of the Day: Signs in the heavens about same-sex marriage
- Libs’ obscene ‘love song’ to wounded warrior who dares to oppose gay marriage
- Xe, xem, xyr: New ‘gender-free’ pronouns approved by Vancouver ed. board
- U.-VT spends $80K to make software ungrammatical, transgender-submissive
- Who’s ready for gender-neutral pronouns?
- Why did Obama prevent reformist Muslims from attending ‘summit on violent extremism’?
- More PC idiocy: Can a chink ever be just a chink or does it have to be racist?
- NYC Dept of Ed publishes its list of 50 ‘forbidden words’
- Time to ethnically cleanse English? Not a Chinaman’s chance