You have to feel sorry for Kathleen Staples, the mother from Maine whose son was killed Saturday after lighting a fireworks mortar that he had placed on his head. Staples is now demanding that lawmakers mandate safety courses for amateur firework enthusiasts.
While it is understandable that a grief-stricken mother is searching desperately for answers as to why her 22-year-old son had to die in such a senseless tragedy, the remedy she seeks already exists. It is called common sense. And her son was not the only person lacking it this past Fourth.
As AFP notes via Yahoo News, two NFL players — New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson — had fingers amputated after fireworks mishaps this weekend.
[ESPN] cited medical records as saying Pierre-Paul had his right index finger removed as a result of the mishap in Florida on Saturday.
Pierre-Paul posted two videos to his Instagram account on Saturday that appeared to show him next to a van full of fireworks obtained for holiday celebrations.
The injury is not expected to adversely impact Pierre-Paul’s career. Not so for Wilson, who lost two of his fingers. Because he plays a skill position, the loss could shorten, or prematurely end, his career. Wilson’s agent, Joel Turner, was willing only to say at this juncture:
As we are dealing with a medical issue, we are in contact with the ball club as well, and they are taking the lead on any information to the public regarding his condition.
- Mom of Maine’s first firecracker fatality wants tighter fireworks laws
- Darwin Award contender dies by setting off fireworks from top of head