The siege in Sydney is over. All that remains to be determined is (1) the fate of the hostage taker, Man Haron Monis, and (2) how this latest act of terrorism will be received by liberals and their enablers in the mainstream media.
First the details. From Reuters:
Australian security forces on Tuesday stormed the Sydney cafe where several hostages were being held at gunpoint, in what looked like the dramatic denouement to a standoff that had dragged on for more than 16 hours.
Heavy gunfire and loud bangs rang out shortly after 2 a.m. local time (10a.m. ET on Monday), and moments earlier at least six people believed to have been held captive had managed to flee the scene.
Medics moved in and took away several injured people on stretchers, but it was not clear whether they included the gunman who had been named by a police source only minutes earlier.
A separate entry at the Reuters site indicates that none of the hostages was injured.
A tweet by Jim Treacher suggests Monis was either killed or took his own life:
Congratulations to nondenominational community activist Man Haron Monis for achieving martyrdom, for reasons that will never be known.
— Jim Treacher (@jtLOL) December 15, 2014
Glibness aside, the Obama administration has not yet weighed in, but if past is prologue, they will write this off as the work of a lone wolf terrorist (despite Monis’s obvious expression of solidarity with ISIS). How the president and MSNBC will rationalize calling this an instance of workplace violence is yet to be known.
*UPDATE* Reuters has released to the earlier quoted report that notes grimly that one of the hostages was killed, as was the gunman:
Two people, including the gunman, had been killed. New South Wales police declined to comment on the reports, and it was not clear whether the fatalities occurred during the rescue operation itself.
- MSNBC’s Harris-Perry calls OK beheading ‘workplace violence,’ beheader a ‘gentleman’
- Piers Morgan says Ferguson protesters should be Time mag’s ‘Person of the Year’ (Video)
- Photo of baby about to be beheaded found on phone of dead ISIS fanatic in Kobani
- Ft. Hood jihadi Nidal Hassan espouses jihad in letter to pope
- Mosque of Oklahoma beheader receives visit, praise from Obama administration
- CNN’s Marc Lamont Hill: ‘People behead for all sorts of reasons’
- MSNBC’s response to Oklahoma beheading story? Muslims are hilarious!