Really? Try telling that to a woman in labor around 10 p.m. yesterday in Berkeley whose emergency vehicle was blocked by protesters. It’s a safe bet that at least some of the goons were chanting or holding up signs reading “Black lives count,” oblivious to the fact that they were endangering the lives of the expectant mother and her baby.
JUST IN: Police got a report a woman is stuck in traffic, going into labor on W Frontage Rd near University Ave. I-80 closed due to #protest
— ABC7 News (@abc7newsBayArea) December 9, 2014
Not there has been anything peaceful about the Berkeley protests. As noted yesterday, masked demonstrators broke windows along University Ave. near (ironically enough) Martin Luther King Blvd., “smashed bottles and spray painted graffiti. Others took hammers and smashed ATM machines, and overturned garbage dumpsters.” A reporter described what he saw as a “mob scene.”
This is not the first time, by the way, that protesters blocked a vehicle en route to the hospital. In July 2013, a similar scenario played out in Houston, when a family rushing a sick 7-year-old to the emergency room was detained by protesters lamenting the death of Trayvon Martin.
- Berkeley protest devolves into violence, ‘mob scene’
- Outrage: Family rushing sick child to hospital blocked by Zimmerman demonstrators
- Tweet of the Day: Protesters shut down NYC’s Verrazano Bridge during rush hour
- The secret to preventing the deaths of more Eric Garners? Occupy Wall Street (Video)
- MSNBC’s Harris-Perry calls OK beheading ‘workplace violence,’ beheader a ‘gentleman’
- MSNBC’s Harris-Perry says securing border equivalent to racial segregation
- NFL players wear ‘I can’t breathe’ message in solidarity with Eric Garner protesters
- Police, Twitter, blast Rams for their ‘hands up, don’t shoot’ stunt at Sunday game *UPDATE*
- NYPD is warned of black militant group’s plan to shoot on-duty cops
- Message to Ferguson protesters and their supporters: Put up or shut up